Help needed

  • Emilio Guía López
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
      Dear friends:

      I am building my first valved reflux still and I will use two electric
      immersion heaters (1000 watts each one) in the boiler but I am worry because
      I don't know which should be the right distance over the bottom where the
      heaters must be located (wiring is on a lateral wall). How you take control
      of the liquid level in the boiler in order to avoid the heater elements
      operates outside the liquid ?. I have seen a lot of boiler designs but
      nothing about how to prevent this problem? Where I can find information or
      advice about this matter?. Measuring the distillate collected is enough?
      Please, help me and let me know.

      Regards,

      Emilio

      Copa del Mundo de la FIFA 2002
      El único lugar de Internet con vídeos de los 64 partidos.
      ¡Apúntante ya! en http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/es/
    • Debbie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2007
        Please ignore this post (I actually sent it yesterday, not sure why
        it took so long to show up). Hubby has had enough of fooling around
        with it and has sold the whole setup. The bloke is picking it up
        after lunch. We have done some money but that's life.
        To be honest, I thought the whole process would be easier when we
        bought it. I guess it just isn't for me.
        Deb

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <jidykomt@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. I have been lurking here for awhile, reading the facinating
        stuff you guys do.

        > I am having problems and hope someone can give me some advice. I
        have comercially bought super reflux still. I have run 4 batches
        through it now. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am only
        getting between 62 and 73 %. The 73 was a one off, one was a 71% and
        the other two have been in the low 60's.
        > The still is packed with ceramic saddles, they came with it. I have
        used sw24, sw48 and 2 by 24 hour yeasts. With the sw yeasts I used
        8kg of sugar. With the 24 hour yeasts I used 6kg of sugar. This is a
        25 litre fermenter. I started them at 30%. The 73% and 71% came off
        the 24 hour yeasts. With them I used turbo clear. The washes have
        gone off well, except for one which gave me the 62%. I am running my
        still at between 75 and 80 degrees. I take off 100 ml of head.

        > Can someone give me some advice on what to do. I am so
        disappointed. I have a mate with a pot still and he is getting up to
        96%. He is mighty pleased with himself comparing his results to my
        those of my flash store bought still.

        > Help! I am very new at this so please keep all advice pretty basic.
        >
        > Deb in oz

      • cadence22003
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2007
          --deb

          try running the water to the condensor a little faster

          less volume of yield will give you higher A/V

          and/or run the yield through twice

          also make sure your spirit measurements are conducted at the temp.
          that the hydrometer is set to-

          many regards brian

          In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <jidykomt@...> wrote:

          > Hi all. I have been lurking here for awhile, reading the facinating
          stuff you guys do.

          > I am having problems and hope someone can give me some advice. I
          have comercially bought super reflux still. I have run 4 batches
          through it now. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am only
          getting between 62 and 73 %. The 73 was a one off, one was a 71% and
          the other two have been in the low 60's.
          > The still is packed with ceramic saddles, they came with it. I have
          used sw24, sw48 and 2 by 24 hour yeasts. With the sw yeasts I used
          8kg of sugar. With the 24 hour yeasts I used 6kg of sugar. This is a
          25 litre fermenter. I started them at 30%. The 73% and 71% came off
          the 24 hour yeasts. With them I used turbo clear. The washes have gone
          off well, except for one which gave me the 62%. I am running my still
          at between 75 and 80 degrees. I take off 100 ml of head.

          > Can someone give me some advice on what to do. I am so disappointed.
          I have a mate with a pot still and he is getting up to 96%. He is
          mighty pleased with himself comparing his results to my those of my
          flash store bought still.

          > Help! I am very new at this so please keep all advice pretty basic.
          >
          > Deb in oz

        • Trid
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22, 2007
            --- Debbie <jidykomt@...> wrote:
            > I am having problems and hope someone can give me some advice. I have
            > comercially bought super reflux still. I have run 4 batches through it now. I
            > don't know what I am doing wrong but I am only getting between 62 and 73 %.
            > The 73 was a one off, one was a 71% and the other two have been in the low
            > 60's.
            > The still is packed with ceramic saddles, they came with it. I have used
            > sw24, sw48 and 2 by 24 hour yeasts. With the sw yeasts I used 8kg of sugar.
            > With the 24 hour yeasts I used 6kg of sugar. This is a 25 litre fermenter. I
            > started them at 30%. The 73% and 71% came off the 24 hour yeasts. With them I
            > used turbo clear. The washes have gone off well, except for one which gave me
            > the 62%. I am running my still at between 75 and 80 degrees. I take off 100
            > ml of head.
            >
            > Can someone give me some advice on what to do. I am so disappointed. I have a
            > mate with a pot still and he is getting up to 96%. He is mighty pleased with
            > himself comparing his results to my those of my flash store bought still.

            Start with doing two runs. Run your wash once with no reflux...this is what
            we'll call the "stripping run." Then, take the results of your stripping run
            and distill it again...this time, use less heat and have a little patience.

            Keep in mind that to get 96%, you will have to run your still at 76
            degrees...constantly. As soon as it exceeds that, you've got a lower
            percentage and something needs adjusting. At that point, either increase your
            reflux rate (slower collection of final product) or back off on your heat
            input...turn it down a little.

            Let us know how those adjustments affect the quality of your final product.
            While you're at it, let us know more about your setup. What kind of still is
            it? How do you control your reflux rate and your heat? What do you mean you
            started your fermentation at 30%? 30% of what? You're sure not getting a 30%
            alcohol fermentation...if that's what your starting gravity indicates the
            potential alcohol is, then you're adding too much sugar to start out with.

            We'll help put together the puzzle with you...let us have some more pieces :)

            Trid