Re: [Distillers] maple vs oak?

  • BillyWeeble@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
      In a message dated 10/20/02 4:29:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      ranmans1@... writes:

      << Has anyone ever used maple to age the corn whiskey instead of oak? Does
      it give that kinda maple syrup flavor or smell? >>

      Not that this really pertains - but while cutting firewood for the
      homestead recently I was cutting into some black oak here in the Northwest
      US. While the chainsaw was cutting away I thought I had stepped in some cat
      shit or something. I turned it off and looked at the soles of my shoes,
      looked around for the pile...nothing. Turns out it was the wood I was cutting
      on. The list of wood not usable for aging on is getting longer. I dunno,
      maybe it might add something. "Cat Scratch Fever". Hmmm.....