why is my element getting a light green deposit

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2002
      my new element is developing a light green fur/dusty type residue
      near the nut like fixings next to the washer on the inside of the
      tank. i have only boiled water in the tank so far for an hour or so.
      the tank was spotless before this too. i never had this problem with
      other similar elements so i dont think its the water supply, there is
      no chlorine smell in the water either. the element is the type which
      fits in 2 holes and gets secured by two holes on the outside. it is a
      nickel plated copper element. when i scrape a bit off it is black
      underneath like it is corroded

      anybody know what it is, if it is dangerous?