Molasses volume

  • Shane Kirkman
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2002
       Could someone tell me the approx volume for 1 kg of molasses .

                  Thanks Shane.

    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2002

        To the best of my knowledge, molasses being a water solution should occupy approximately 1000 cubic cm

         Shane Kirkman <shanekirkman@...> wrote:

         Could someone tell me the approx volume for 1 kg of molasses .

                    Thanks Shane.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • matthewo_brien
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
          > To the best of my knowledge, molasses being a water solution should
          occupy approximately 1000 cubic cm

          Nup.

          The density (SG) of molasses (80 Brix) is 1.416, which means 1L (or
          1000 cubic cm) will weigh 1.416kg. Of this only about 50% is
          fermentable sugars - remember that when calculating the potential
          yield. If you want more info, or a more complicated explanation, let
          me know.

          Matt
          (Brisbane)