Amylase Enzyme?

  • backwoods barney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
      Just got a tip from someone that this Amylase Enzyme might take the
      place of malt in my mash to convert the starch to sugar. Any of you
      experts know about this? if so how much per pound of corn might i
      need?
    • Leonard D. Salins
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
        I have been using it for rice mash - about one mg. per lb. - has been doing a nice job
        Leonard D Salins
        Mycologist & Wholesale Produce Broker
        Berryville Produce, LLC
        salinsl@...
        salinsl@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
          Oops! Lets try this again - I dropped a decimal place there. I have been using about 10 mg. for every pound of grain (rice) in my case. I cook the rice beforehand, allow it to cool to about 23 C then add water and the enzyme - after a day - sugar and yeast.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
            On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:25:54AM -0400, Leonard D. Salins wrote:
            > Oops! Lets try this again - I dropped a decimal place there. I have been using about 10 mg. for every pound of grain (rice) in my case. I cook the rice beforehand, allow it to cool to about 23 C then add water and the enzyme - after a day - sugar and yeast.
            > Leonard D Salins

            I assume in this case you guys mean using gluco-amylase from the local
            brew shop. And then there's Alpha-Galactosidase as found in Beano. And
            then I've found alpha-amylase actually in powder form (in capsules) too.
            Since some of my grain mashes have gone rather badly I wouldnt be averse
            to using alpha-amylase before the saccharification step. Anyone used that
            particular amlyase?
            -matt