Copper inverting sugar ?

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2 1:06 PM
      Cooking show on TV last night featured a place making candy/chocolate. They used a copper vessel to make their candy in, not only for its excellent heat transfer properties "no hot spots", but also "because the copper helps invert the sugar"

      Does anyone know anything more about this ?

      Guess it also comes back to the question of whether inverting sugar is a benefit or not for fermentation.

      Tony

      > NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments. This notice should not be removed.

    • robert valiquette
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3 5:59 AM

        I'm at lost to copper having any effect to invertion of sugar(sucrose) into inverted sugar(glucose-fructose). A mild acid such as citric acid added to boiling water sugar solution for 10-20 min. will convert it to invertose. This sugar is very simmilar to honey's sugar composition or tree sap and is easy for yeast to digest. I find this speeds the fermentation process and helps to increase the yeast's population.

        my fall 2002 project it to convert inulin(jerusalem artichoke) into fructose for fermenting a sunroot wine.

        Cheers Robert

         "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" wrote:

        Cooking show on TV last night featured a place making candy/chocolate.  They used a copper vessel to make their candy in, not only for its excellent heat transfer properties "no hot spots", but also "because the copper helps invert the sugar"

        Does anyone know anything more about this ?

        Guess it also comes back to the question of whether inverting sugar is a benefit or not for fermentation.

        Tony

        > NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments  are private and confidential and may contain legally privileged  information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of  this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments. This notice should not be removed.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Aaron Pelly
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3 5:31 PM
          I expect this isn't relevant, but copper acts as a catalyst when beating egg
          white too.