Re: Q2. Effect of Pressure?

  • peter_vcb
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
      1.5atm is a lot of pressure and is very dangerous if you dont know
      what you are doing. cant help on the effects but dont mess around
      with this

      --- In Distillers@y..., "wromgbutton" <evabolis@s...> wrote:
      > Has anyone experimented with or have anything to say about a slight
      > increase in pressure of a still. What effect would, say 1.5
      > atmospheres, have on the balance of the column or the output rate.
      > Again an idea bubbling.
      > Thanks Edward
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002

        in my opinion the pressure inside the column and the pot are already slightly over the pressure outside otherwise there would not be a flow at all. increasing this pressure would make the still run "faster" and require more cooling, longer column to achieve same purity as at "slow" speed. in other words what slow still may forgive the fast still will spit out as nasty fractions. yet in other words pressurized still must be much more thought out than the old good ways...

        Cheers, Alex...

         wromgbutton wrote:

        Has anyone experimented with or have anything to say about a slight
        increase in pressure of a still. What effect would, say 1.5
        atmospheres, have on the balance of the column or the output rate.
        Again an idea bubbling.
        Thanks Edward

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
          > --- In Distillers@y..., "wromgbutton" <evabolis@s...> wrote:
          > Has anyone experimented with or have anything to say about a slight
          > increase in pressure of a still. What effect would, say 1.5
          > atmospheres, have on the balance of the column or the output rate.

          Increased pressure will make it harder to seperate the ethanol from the water - the azeotrope will move down to a lower % Thats why vacuum distillation is an advantage - it moves the azeotrope (the max % you can get when distilling) up from 96% to 100%

          Tony
        • George Wessel
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
            > Increased pressure will make it harder to seperate the ethanol from the
            > water - the azeotrope will move down to a lower % Thats why vacuum
            > distillation is an advantage - it moves the azeotrope (the max % you can
            > get when distilling) up from 96% to 100%

            Hello Tony

            Just a though off the top of my head.

            We're entering fall here now so our outside temp is cooler than our
            inside. So if my boiler was inside, at room temp, it would be about 20
            to 30 degrees Cent. If my condenser was outside it would be 10 degrees
            today and even colder later on.

            I do not know at what temp alcohol would boil in any mixture of alcohol
            and water. So I'll have to just pull a number out of the air, let's say
            alcohol will vaporize at 20 inches of vacuum at 20 degrees Cent. By
            using a storage tank, apply a vacuum to the boiler, lead the suction
            line outside to a condenser. The outside temp is below the vapor temp
            of alcohol so the vapor would condense. The liquid alcohol will remain
            outside at a cooler temp until it is time to collect it. The compressor,
            storage tank and boiler are all inside where it is warm. Only the
            condenser is outside. As long as the vacuum is maintaned at a level
            above the vapor point of alcohol (At room temp) but below that of water.
            Would it not separate the two. After a few hours or days would you
            not have water in your boiler and alcohol in your condenser. Maybe the
            two vapor points would be to close to stay between, I have no idea. I
            wouldn't think that some sort of vacuum control would be to hard to come
            up with.

            Would the vacuum have to be increase as the alcohol level comes down?
            Just a thought
            George
          • motie_d
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
              --- In Distillers@y..., George Wessel <georgelola@n...> wrote:

              > Just a though off the top of my head.
              >
              > We're entering fall here now so our outside temp is cooler than our
              > inside. So if my boiler was inside, at room temp, it would be
              about 20
              > to 30 degrees Cent. If my condenser was outside it would be 10
              degrees
              > today and even colder later on.
              >
              > I do not know at what temp alcohol would boil in any mixture of
              alcohol
              > and water. So I'll have to just pull a number out of the air, let's
              say
              > alcohol will vaporize at 20 inches of vacuum at 20 degrees Cent.

              My very basic experiment showed me that at 20 inches of vacuum, the
              alcohol will make a fog in the container at 85F (30C). That concluded
              my test at that time, because the old compressor I used wouldn't pull
              more vacuum than that, and I wanted to keep the temp down to a
              survivable level for Yeast in order to keep the ferment going. I
              wasn't after a vacuum distillation, per se. I wanted to ferment under
              vacum to try to make a continous process.

              By
              > using a storage tank, apply a vacuum to the boiler, lead the
              suction
              > line outside to a condenser.

              I envisioned using the vacuum storage tank as the condensor. The
              alcohol vapors should condense to liquid, and if further vacuum was
              needed, you would only be pumping CO2 through your compressor. The
              alcohol vapors should not have to pass through the compressor.

              The outside temp is below the vapor temp
              > of alcohol so the vapor would condense. The liquid alcohol will
              remain
              > outside at a cooler temp until it is time to collect it. The
              compressor,
              > storage tank and boiler are all inside where it is warm. Only the
              > condenser is outside. As long as the vacuum is maintaned at a
              level
              > above the vapor point of alcohol (At room temp) but below that of
              water.
              > Would it not separate the two. After a few hours or days would
              you
              > not have water in your boiler and alcohol in your condenser. Maybe
              the
              > two vapor points would be to close to stay between, I have no idea.
              > wouldn't think that some sort of vacuum control would be to hard to
              come
              > up with.
              >

              > Would the vacuum have to be increase as the alcohol level comes
              down?

              I think it would, or else increase the temp slightly. I was going to
              let the Yeast keep my alcohol concentration up, with the vacuum
              keeping the alcohol concentration from getting too high for east
              survivabilty.

              > Just a thought
              Keep those thoughts coming!
              > George
              Motie
            • George Wessel
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
                Hello Motie

                What your are trying to do is a little different than my original idea.
                I wish you the best of luck. To spell out my idea, I know where I can
                purchase two popane tanks, a 500 and a 1000 gallon tanks that were
                damaged in a grass fire. Plus I have 2 very good 1000 gallon popane
                tanks that could be used as vacuum storage that I don't use. The plan
                calls for cutting off one end on each of the damaged tanks. Welding
                them together to make a single 1500 gallon tanks. Cut out a access hole
                on top and make a clamp on lip to cover. Grain could be augured in
                through this hole as well a maled barley. Water would be pumped in to
                fill the tanks and then inject steam to cook the mash. After cooking
                circulate the wort through a heat exchanger to cool it down to yeast
                temp and then pitch the yeast. As I said it is getting colder here
                everyday so any radiator with a fan on it would work quite well. When
                fermented, apply vacuum, suck off any alcohol that happens to be in
                there. Drain the fermenter and then apply vacuum again this time to dry
                the spent grains so they will store longer. A removeable lid on the
                bottom ( same as the top) to dump out the dry spent grains. All DDG&S's
                would still be in the dry spent grains. Probably give the cooker a good
                cleaning and augur in more grain. Simple and easy, no fancy machinery,
                low initial cost. Boilers are simple to make as well and a condenser
                would also be very easy to build. Only real expense would be a vacuum
                pump capable of pulling the vacuum needed. Use a good yeast and add lots
                of it and I could turn this thing over once a week.

                A 1500 gallon fermenter with a 14% wort would produce 210 gallon of fuel
                alcohol. Us a higher alcohol yeast and get it up to 18% and I would
                have 270 gallon of 100 proof fuel with no drying needed. Find some
                gasoline with no water in it and I'm ready to make some gasohol.

                On the question of whether or not I would need to up the vacuum or heat
                as the percent alcohol in the wort comes down, consider this. A reflux
                still will heat up slowly until you start removing the fore shots. As
                they disminish the still will heat up until you start removing the
                ethanol. Their it will stall out until the ethanol has been removed
                (the more heat you apply the faster the evaporating ethanol will carry
                it off) When it runs out of ethanol it will start heating up as it
                starts to remove the higher alcohols. It will do this heat and stall
                thing until you start getting water. Would this not be the same for the
                vacuum still. If the vacuum and temp where held at the same levels would
                it not just stop producing ethanol. I would think that for fuel alcohol
                the foreshots and the tailings would burn just as good as the ethanol.
                If anyone knows any different I would appreciate hearing what you know.

                So, tell me what you think, am I completely off my rocker here
                George
              • Robert N
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002

                  Hi George, an idea that sprang to mind, why not give it a try on a small scale, either find a small vacuum pump and reservoir etc and give it a whirl. I know that you can even purchase hand vacuum pumps for checking automotive gauges. It seems like the theory is mostly correct and there isn’t anyone on the list or the others mentioned that has tried it before. We would all be interested in the results. I know it may cost $50 ~ $100 to try it out and of course the time to do it all, but it sure beats the hell out of spending up big on those tanks.

                  Yours in Spirit!

                  Robert