Re: [Distillers] Q3. Yeast trick?

  • spiritual
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
      The fermenting temperature does make a big difference to the finall
      outcome..keep the temp say at 20c and you just about dont need to carbon
      treat it....I wasnt reffering to a sweet taste i was talkking about the
      smell and acetate taste/smell....you know frm yeast cells?

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        Go5t a better idea...ferment a wash at 30c and tell me if it taste the same
        as one fermented at 20c?

        > yeah i think i know the answer to this one mine never used to
        > take very long at all. 5-7 days ...Think the issues is the
        > fermenting temp is higher 25-30c and it finishes much quicker
        > but the taste is shit house...since winter has come all the
        > brew have been fermenting at 20-22c they take about 2 weeks
        > and have come out brilliant!

        Ambient temperature doesn't make any difference to the taste -- this is
        just a plain sugar wash, after all. Since this will be pure ethanol for
        later flavouring, wouldn't you carbon polish it as well?

        To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
        distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com

      • BOKAKOB
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002

          i use "black label" from G. Strand site. it works in 5 days max. the way i can tell is when bubbles stop coming out. it is pretty obvious. i estimate the wash having 12% or 14% because i can really taste the alcohol in it. the disadvantage is that it gives off a slight fruitty flavor. i mix it with juices and it does not matter anymore.

          Cheers Alex...

          P.S. i can not do anything to make yeast to digest sugars faster ( some people try playing classical music to it and swear that it helps!)

           wromgbutton wrote:

          I've noticed in the polls a few people are able to get their 7 day
          turbo yeast to do it's business in 5 to 7 days. Most of us are
          around 12 to 14 days or more. Those that are doing it
          quick....what's the secret?
          Thanks EDWARD

          Do you Yahoo!?