Q1. Importance of vapour zone?

  • wromgbutton
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      I was wondering if any member knows of or has experimented with that
      volume at the top of your column known as the vapour zone. Is there
      any specific volume thats necessary or is it unneeded? Does it act as
      a buffer for your column? Does it help with reflux or the equilibrium?
      I'm working on an idea and am looking for input.
      Thanks Edward
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002

        in my opinion if there is a constant unobstructed vapor flow the volume above the packing could be minimal based on convenience.

        Cheers, Alex...

         wromgbutton wrote:

        I was wondering if any member knows of or has experimented with that
        volume at the top of your column known as the vapour zone. Is there
        any specific volume thats necessary or is it unneeded? Does it act as
        a buffer for your column? Does it help with reflux or the equilibrium?
        I'm working on an idea and am looking for input.
        Thanks Edward

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          > I was wondering if any member knows of or has experimented with that
          > volume at the top of your column known as the vapour zone. Is there
          > any specific volume thats necessary or is it unneeded? Does it act as
          > a buffer for your column? Does it help with reflux or the
          > equilibrium?

          My personal feel is that it does nothing whatsoever - just a waste space that could be used by more packing. Have the minimum you need in order to get the return of the reflux right so that its heading to the center of the packing and not just running down the walls.

          Tony