Re: Ethyl-Acetate (wrongly demonized ?)

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1 8:40 PM
      Well Mike,

      You are energetic in your research.
      Thanks already for all the interesting findings.

      I was mixed up by the use of "solvent smell" in some of the postings.
      "Solvent" really is a general term. There are many solvents and they
      all smell different.

      In the meantime, I see now that it is possible to have nice flavours,
      but in too high concentrations. Acetone and methanol are fully
      undesired, ethyl acetate seems to be a wanted flavour in many
      distillates.

      Then there is the point that certain chemicals can have a nice smell
      but at the same time taste quite differently.

      Taste and smell seem to be VERY complex mechanisms and I am happy
      with that.

      Sooner or later I'll do what Mike Nixon advised. I'll buy some ethyl
      acetate, I guess in a pharmacy, and add some drops to tasteless
      ethanol to evaluate the effect.

      Sincerely,
      Dirk