Re: Easy instructions needed

  • Vicker will do
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hey folks,
      Here is my suggestion for a simple still. It is what I used the first
      time for some brandy.
      Take a one gallon cider jug (the kind with a little cap and a
      finger hole type handle), and about 5 feet of clear plastic tubing.
      Poke a hole in the cap to fit the tubing tightly. fill the jug no
      more than 2/3 full of the liquid you wish to distill. Place the jug
      in a large pot and fill the pot till the jug almost floats. Cap the
      jug and push your tubing in an inch or two and seal it with paste
      made from flour and water. Make the condenser just as Bokabob says.
      Turn the heat on under the pot and use the heat from the hot water to
      distill your alchol. BE VERY CAREFUL. alchol vapors are explosive.
      Good Luck,
      Vicker
      --- In Distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

      > Hey, here is my scheme:
      > prepare sugar and water solution so the final thing tastes like
      heavily sweetened tea by heating a portion of water and dissolving
      sugar there and then mixing in the rest of water then cool it rapidly
      by introducing plastic bag with ice. it should be room temperature.

      > add one packet of active dry yeast per quarter (one liter) of
      prepared solution stir it in. add a cup of orange juice per liter of
      fermenting solution. close the container allowing cover to shift
      around so carbon dioxide may escape. leave it for a week observing
      foam and small bubbles forming. when it is done read and do the
      following.

      > take a metal stock pot with lid. pour fermented liquid there. close
      with the lid in a special way. insert plastic clear tubing at one
      side so the lid is sloped. the tubing must be thick a index finger
      and be at the top of the pot. it should not be dunk in the fermented
      liquid. tape the narrow gap between the lid and the pot and secure
      plastic tube with scotch tape. the tube will lead to a coffee can
      filled with cold water and ice. coil this clear tube in the plastic
      can. make a hole in the bottom of coffee can and let the plastic tube
      pass through it. fix the gap there with scotch tape. u are set. start
      heating the pot and observe through clear tubing how alcohol is made.
      If you have a lid made out of glass – even better.

      > Cheers Alex…
      >

      > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" wrote:
      > From "PlatinumPat" who mistakenly sent this to the "owners" not the
      group - trap for new players using the web interface ...

      > To: Distillers-owner@y...
      > Subject: Easy instructions needed
      >

      > Hello all. I know nothing about distillation, yet have decided
      that
      > in a week i am going to give a demonstrative presentation on how to
      > distill alchohol. I need very simple instruction. I was on the
      > website homedistiller.org, and have alot of info, but i need simple
      > instructions, and I don't understand what nutrients are. i will
      > also need to make a still. I was wondering if there is anything
      > wrong with making a bucket still for one time use. I just need
      > simple instructiuons, the alchohol doesn't need to be great, or
      > tasteable, just needs to look good as a demonstration. Thank you.

      Service.

    • peter_vcb
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
        i take it you are a school teacher or someting?
        one way (very cheap) would be to get a cheap bottle of wine (red to
        show the colour is lost). put it in a kettle. bring it to the boil
        and sellotape the switch on (if you can). then get a empty glass jar
        or jug and wrap it with a damp cloth. hold this over the kettle spout
        and have another glass/jar underneath this. the liquid will come out
        and should be flammable which always impresses. be careful your
        students dont turn you into the cops!

        --- In Distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...>