Easy instructions needed

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
      From "PlatinumPat" who mistakenly sent this to the "owners" not the group - trap for new players using the web interface ...

      To: Distillers-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Easy instructions needed

      Hello all. I know nothing about distillation, yet have decided that
      in a week i am going to give a demonstrative presentation on how to
      distill alchohol. I need very simple instruction. I was on the
      website homedistiller.org, and have alot of info, but i need simple
      instructions, and I don't understand what nutrients are. i will
      also need to make a still. I was wondering if there is anything
      wrong with making a bucket still for one time use. I just need
      simple instructiuons, the alchohol doesn't need to be great, or
      tasteable, just needs to look good as a demonstration. Thank you.
    • BOKAKOB
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002

        Hey, here is my scheme:

        prepare sugar and water solution so the final thing tastes like heavily sweetened tea by heating a portion of water and dissolving sugar there and then mixing in the rest of water then cool it rapidly by introducing plastic bag with ice. it should be room temperature.

        add one packet of active dry yeast per quarter (one liter) of prepared solution stir it in. add a cup of orange juice per liter of fermenting solution. close the container allowing cover to shift around so carbon dioxide may escape. leave it for a week observing foam and small bubbles forming. when it is done read and do the following.

        take a metal stock pot with lid. pour fermented liquid there. close with the lid in a special way. insert plastic clear tubing at one side so the lid is sloped. the tubing must be thick a index finger and be at the top of the pot. it should not be dunk in the fermented liquid. tape the narrow gap between the lid and the pot and secure plastic tube with scotch tape. the tube will lead to a coffee can filled with cold water and ice. coil this clear tube in the plastic can. make a hole in the bottom of coffee can and let the plastic tube pass through it. fix the gap there with scotch tape. u are set. start heating the pot and observe through clear tubing how alcohol is made. If you have a lid made out of glass � even better.

        Cheers Alex �

         "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" wrote:

        From "PlatinumPat" who mistakenly sent this to the "owners" not the group - trap for new players using the web interface ...

        To: Distillers-owner@yahoogroups.com

        Hello all.  I know nothing about distillation, yet have decided that
        in a week i am going to give a demonstrative presentation on how to
        distill alchohol.  I need very simple instruction.  I was on the
        website homedistiller.org, and have alot of info, but i need simple
        instructions, and I don't understand what nutrients are.  i will
        also need to make a still.  I was wondering if there is anything
        wrong with making a bucket still for one time use.  I just need
        simple instructiuons, the alchohol doesn't need to be great, or
        tasteable, just needs to look good as a demonstration.  Thank you.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Vicker will do
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          Hey folks,
          Here is my suggestion for a simple still. It is what I used the first
          time for some brandy.
          Take a one gallon cider jug (the kind with a little cap and a
          finger hole type handle), and about 5 feet of clear plastic tubing.
          Poke a hole in the cap to fit the tubing tightly. fill the jug no
          more than 2/3 full of the liquid you wish to distill. Place the jug
          in a large pot and fill the pot till the jug almost floats. Cap the
          jug and push your tubing in an inch or two and seal it with paste
          made from flour and water. Make the condenser just as Bokabob says.
          Turn the heat on under the pot and use the heat from the hot water to
          distill your alchol. BE VERY CAREFUL. alchol vapors are explosive.
          Good Luck,
          Vicker
          --- In Distillers@y..., BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:

          > Hey, here is my scheme:
          > prepare sugar and water solution so the final thing tastes like
          heavily sweetened tea by heating a portion of water and dissolving
          sugar there and then mixing in the rest of water then cool it rapidly
          by introducing plastic bag with ice. it should be room temperature.

          > add one packet of active dry yeast per quarter (one liter) of
          prepared solution stir it in. add a cup of orange juice per liter of
          fermenting solution. close the container allowing cover to shift
          around so carbon dioxide may escape. leave it for a week observing
          foam and small bubbles forming. when it is done read and do the
          following.

          > take a metal stock pot with lid. pour fermented liquid there. close
          with the lid in a special way. insert plastic clear tubing at one
          side so the lid is sloped. the tubing must be thick a index finger
          and be at the top of the pot. it should not be dunk in the fermented
          liquid. tape the narrow gap between the lid and the pot and secure
          plastic tube with scotch tape. the tube will lead to a coffee can
          filled with cold water and ice. coil this clear tube in the plastic
          can. make a hole in the bottom of coffee can and let the plastic tube
          pass through it. fix the gap there with scotch tape. u are set. start
          heating the pot and observe through clear tubing how alcohol is made.
          If you have a lid made out of glass – even better.

          > Cheers Alex…
          >

          > "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" wrote:
          > From "PlatinumPat" who mistakenly sent this to the "owners" not the
          group - trap for new players using the web interface ...

          > To: Distillers-owner@y...
          > Subject: Easy instructions needed
          >

          > Hello all. I know nothing about distillation, yet have decided
          that
          > in a week i am going to give a demonstrative presentation on how to
          > distill alchohol. I need very simple instruction. I was on the
          > website homedistiller.org, and have alot of info, but i need simple
          > instructions, and I don't understand what nutrients are. i will
          > also need to make a still. I was wondering if there is anything
          > wrong with making a bucket still for one time use. I just need
          > simple instructiuons, the alchohol doesn't need to be great, or
          > tasteable, just needs to look good as a demonstration. Thank you.

          Service.

        • peter_vcb
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
            i take it you are a school teacher or someting?
            one way (very cheap) would be to get a cheap bottle of wine (red to
            show the colour is lost). put it in a kettle. bring it to the boil
            and sellotape the switch on (if you can). then get a empty glass jar
            or jug and wrap it with a damp cloth. hold this over the kettle spout
            and have another glass/jar underneath this. the liquid will come out
            and should be flammable which always impresses. be careful your
            students dont turn you into the cops!

            --- In Distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...>