Fwd: Rum and caramel

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2002
      Some clue can be got from cognac/brandy practice - see msg 5073.
      Cognac can have up to 2% sugar, caramel coloring (start with
      1tbsp/litre?) and oak essence (see msg 5074).
      You can make caramel coloring by cooking on medium heat, 1 cup of
      sugar in 1/2 cup water until it turns to caramel. Then add 3/4 cup
      water carefully to dilute, bring to boil and simmer 2-3 minutes. Cool
      and bottle.
      Wal

      --- In Distillers@y..., <strounge@b...> wrote:
      I've just finished my rum distillation from raw cane sugar, it's come out
      fairly close to the cuban style rums and makes a good white rum by
      itself.I want to make it into a navy style rum, does anyone have an
      idea as to
      what might be appropriate levels of caramel and raw sugar to add to the
      aging spirit to come out with something along the lines of Lambs or
      Pussers.Cheers
      Absent
      --- End forwarded message ---