Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power regulation

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2002
      John Vandermeulen wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power regulation

      Mike,
      so.......what do we buy so that we can use it on a 1000W electric element
      (110V) to vary the heat under the kettle??
      JohnV
      Good question John, and I wish I had a list of all the products now on the market that offer variable power control that have been re-designed to comply with all the new power supply regulations.  I've published a circuit that does this, but have no idea what is on the commercial market these days, especially in different countries.  That would be a big ask.

      All I can do is point out that phase angle power controllers generate Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), and that this interference must be suppressed to comply with the relevant EMC standards to prevent interaction with other components. You are also constrained by frequency of switching if you have an on/off controller.  Random switching of heavy power loads, such as you get with a cooker, is one thing, but regular on/off switching can play hob with power supplies, eg. switch on for one second, switch off for one second, etc etc. Controller chips for things like central heating/humidity systems are now internally wired so that switching cycles are limited in frequency.

      I'm honestly not trying to be obstructive ... just trying to get the message through that controlling heavy power loads is not easy using solid state electronics.  Such devices are available, but are geared to industrial applications and are very expensive.  I'm assuming that this is not what we are looking for!

      On a side note, Noel published a control circuit yesterday, and I see that some are already contemplating rushing out to buy components to make it.  It is an excellent circuit for what it does, but there is some question about it's suitability for our purposes.  I'm talking to Noel right now about this, and the outcome of that will be posted.  Message is:  don't rush out and spend your money just yet!  Give us a chance to evaluate the circuit and get back to you.

      Mike Nixon