Re: [Distillers] Phase angle power regulation

  • BOKAKOB
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 28, 2002

      Thank you immensly! Now sinse I have only the beginners understanding of circuitry, would you please explain why IC1 is shown only � ? And did it work previoously? I mean did anyone ever made it? I really dont want to gather parts, etch the circuit board and then realize that something is wrong...

      Actually if this thing works and anyone wants to build it for own use, why not build a few extras? Second and thirds are always easier to build; I would definitely pay for labor, parts and shipping. I think there is a limited market for the thing... Lets develop it a bit further.

      Parts are not expensive at all (excluding heating element). Building this thing (actually soldering it to the board and testing out) is about 30 minutes each. If there is a need for more that 10-20 it is definitely worth doing as a college home project. Anyone up to it?

      Cheers, Alex....

      Noel - thanx again.

       noel watson wrote:

      G'day Alex,
      Basically, for 110V 60Hz operation, where I have written 240V at the right
      hand side of the circuit...rub that out....and write in 110V. Same
      components, same values.
      Regards,
      Noel

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • smudge311065
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 29, 2002
        Hi,

        Phase angle power regulation is probably not the way to go. It does
        produce some fairly nasty harmonics and your neighbours will be
        pissed at what it does to their TV reception.

        All is not lost, however.

        You are not the only person faced with this problem which is why they
        produce zero-switching TRIACs. These devices only switch off when
        there is no voltage across them. That rules out phase angle
        regulation, but enables you to build a controller that is on for a
        number of cycles, and off for a number of cycles.

        It would be useless as a light dimmer (because your eyes would see
        the flicker), but is effective enough to control a heating element.

        The basic circuitry involves producing a sawtooth waveform (with a 2
        second period) and comparing against a reference voltage through a
        high gain op amp circuit. The output is a square wave where the duty
        cycle varies according to the reference voltage.

        It isn't that hard to put together and won't produce nasty harmonics.
        Depending on the size of you elements you will see you lights dim and
        brighten as it switches, but that's all.

        Contact me directly if you want further information.

        Smudge