Re: Essential oil (was: RE: [Distillers] Re: Questions about Gin - dissertation on essential oils)

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 26, 2002
      Aaron Pelly wrote:
      Subject: Essential oil (was: RE: [Distillers] Re: Questions about Gin - dissertation on essential oils)

      Where do I start to look (aside from Tony's site of course) for information
      on essential oil extraction?
      A very good book is "Complete Essential Oils" by Julia Lawless, ISBN 1-86204-614-X published by Element Books in Great Britain, USA and Australia, so it seems to have wide distribution.  The copy I have was published in 1999 (two previous editions) so it should be fairly easy to find.  It contains detailed information on just about everything you will ever want to know about essential oils, and most useful of all, gives details on the best methods for extraction for each botanical.  However, being primarily a guide to the use of oils in aromatherapy and herbalism, it does NOT contain the "definitive recipe" for Bombay Sapphire Gin, or any other beverage flavours!  What it DOES do is tell you which oils are most often used in such recipes, so it's a very good start.

      Mike Nixon