RE: [Distillers] Continuous column ?

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2002
      > It sounds interesting to me as I have plans and desire to make one
      > also. But my initial enthusiasm cooled down somewhat, when I looked
      > for a way to remove the undesired fractions.

      The first step will be to see how bad they are.

      If using a sugar wash, there shouldnt be any methanol present, hence no poisoning problems (?) Ethyl acetate will still be a problem though, and likely to stuff up the flavour. It wouldnt be worth the effort of making a column with multiple sampling points, as that would just be too fiddly. We're only looking at taking off 100-200 mL of that volitile portion during a large run, which would mean collecting it at only a drip or two per minute - too fiddly to consider.

      How bad will it be ? Will carbon treatment be good enough to remove the flavour ? Can the wash be pretreated with carbon to remove it ? Whats the final concentration in the collected spirit - eg as measured on a GLC or by other techniques.

      Many questions, few answers. I figure just to simply give it a go. Try it and see what it ends up like.

      Tony