Re: Re: Practical distillation

  • Ray Toms
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 1999
      Jason
      Marbles are put into the tower of a reflux column, their purpose is to slow
      the passage of the alcohol as it rises up the column. The greater the surface
      area of the marbles have the better they seem to work as they transfer heat
      from the vapour, cooling the vapour below the boiling point of water but still
      above the boiling point of alcohol incidentally the vapour point of alcohol is
      78 - 78.5 C, the water turns into a liquid and falls back into the pot and the
      alcohol continues on and out through the condenser where it to is turned back
      into a liquid so it can be collected.
      Ray