Slobber box

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 7:04 PM
      Tony,
              Glad you grasped the theory. Deb makes a very good point when she says: "Never return whats in your thumper to your pot cuz some of the impurities are caught inside that liquid. We generally throw out thumper water after each run".
      If you wanted a grandaddy of a hangover the  tails towards the end of a run using a very hot distilling temperature using this type of setup are bound to be a lot heavier than normal mostly due to the amyls carried over. If you bear this in mind I believe you now have most of the information necessary to build rather a nice still.
      B.r., David
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 6:20 AM
        Last night I said we use the first runnings for the thumper--CORRECTION--we use the last of what runs out the worm for thumper.  Been working some really long hours and realized (after I went to bed) that I had it backwards :)  The first product out the worm is the strongest and the proof decreases gradually til it's about worthless.  We get 2-3 quarts of good stuff (keeper shine) and run the rest of what remains in the still--part is jarred and put up just for the thumper and the rest is returned to the mash.  Sorry for the confusion :)

        Will try to get some measurements today and post here later this evening.

        Deb :)

        Tony,
                Glad you grasped the theory. Deb makes a very good point when she says: "Never return whats in your thumper to your pot cuz some of the impurities are caught inside that liquid. We generally throw out thumper water after each run".
        If you wanted a grandaddy of a hangover the  tails towards the end of a run using a very hot distilling temperature using this type of setup are bound to be a lot heavier than normal mostly due to the amyls carried over. If you bear this in mind I believe you now have most of the information necessary to build rather a nice still.
        B.r., David

      • mike purcell
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11 8:13 AM
          Deb;

          On my first and second stills I used a form of slobber boxes, I
          raided my mums cupboards and came up with 3 1qt mason jars, then I
          found 3 sulfer free rubber bungs, drilled an inlet hole and an outlet
          hole in each and ran em in series!!! The first used to fill up and
          have to be emptied once durning the run, but the final result was
          very impressive. I used to be OK with the results before I added the
          slobber err... bottles but afterwards I was estatic! THe still was a
          15 gal SS beer keg with about 7 gals of mash. I used to get about a
          gallon of product but after the slobbers this dropped by about a qt!!
          But the final product was great!! Again, 1st bottle had to be emptied
          once, I suppose I could have let it run into the second bottle but it
          only took a second to open it and pour off 3/4s of the contents, the
          second bottle filled about 1/2 and the third had barely more than it
          had begun with!! I really liked using the bottles because of the
          ability to see what was going on inside and I felt this knowledge
          gave me better control!

          Mike Purcell