Re: [Distillers] copper reflux still $

  • Self
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 10:16 AM
      On 26 Apr 00, at 11:18, Louie Belle wrote:

      > Hello people, I am from Sydney Australia, and Im very new to this concept
      > of building your own still, I got some instructions from the stillmaker
      > web site ( http://stillmaker.dreamhost.com ) for the copper still, I was
      > wondering if any Australians had actually build this particular design

      Although i am not an australian, could i suggest that you look first
      at the design in the Stone /Nixon ebook which has the distillate
      take off between the condenser and the column for the following
      reasons.
      It is much easier to acheive total reflux with this design (i built the
      stillmaker design first and then adapted it to the stone/ nixon
      design).
      The subsequent control of the reflux ratio when the still is in
      production is also easier since the anount of reflux is controlled by
      a valve rather than the heat input/ cooling water only.
      It seems to me that the cooling effect of the tubes which pass
      through the column must cause turbulence and therfore effect the
      efficiency of the reflux process.

      It is also considerably easier to build since it does away with
      a) passing the cooling tubes through the column which is fiddly and
      hard to solder and obstructs the insertion of packing especially if it
      consists of pot scrubbers.
      b) making the sleeve type condenser which is challenging with
      standard fittings.

      In my view the few $ the book costs are well spent if only for the
      exhaustive explanation of the process.