new still cummin'...Thumper or Bubbler?

  • Robert Warren
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      Dear Tony & Elle,
      A thumper is the same as a bubbler, a doubler, or
      a slobber pot. These old stills were widely used
      and widely copied, and probably not one of the
      people who made them ever refered to a book to
      understand the principals of distillation: this
      was an art handed down through many generations,
      and widely copied. Hence, there are many names for
      the various parts of a still, and also many
      variations.
      I have an excellent description of how the bubbler
      works and why, and also a good description of
      reflux and proof control in Chapter 2 of my book,
      How to Make an Alcohol Still.
      See "Operation of an alcohol still", Chapter 2 of
      Robert
      Warren's ethanol
      manual "Building the Charles 803 alcohol fuel
      still",
      is now on our website, at:
      http://jtforever.org/ethanol_still2.html

      You may also find links to Chapter One, as well
      as a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ)
      there. The focus of this web site is about the
      making and use of 180 proof grain alcohol
      (ethanol) as a replacement for gasoline, as a
      fuel.