RE: [Distillers] new still cummin'...Debbie

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      > I know ours has a thumper. without the thumper you would have to
      > cook your mash twice to get the same alcohol content and smoothness. We
      > always put some of the first runnings in the thumper to increase alcohol
      > content. Not sure how or why this works--hubby could answer you better
      > about the thumper.

      O' Hubby of Deb,

      I'm still a little confused as to how the Thumper actually works. From the
      sounds of it, to be getting 170-190 proof, from a single pass, its as
      though the thumber is effectively doing a second distillation for ya. Does
      it have a heat source under it, or is it just the heat of the vapour coming
      into it ?

      Tony
    • Jacques La Marr
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

        > I'm still a little confused as to how the Thumper actually works. Does
        > it have a heat source under it, or is it just the heat of the vapour coming
        > into it ?
        >
        > Tony

        Tony,

        From what little I know, I do know there is no heat source under the thump
        (slobber) box. You are correct that it just works with hot vapor.

        The copper "slobber box" through which the distilled vapors pass and where much
        of the water vapor, with its inherent bad taste, would condense. There is a
        fine copper screen halfway down the inside of this device to catch any
        sediment, and a petcock at the bottom to allow periodic draining of the water.

        Mark
      • giles@penryn.screaming.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          For some obscure reason, i am subscribed to this list twice. So
          what?
          Well i get each message twice which used to be just a minor
          irritation, but since the posting of pics of stills this means
          extremely lengthy downloads. Please help.
        • Deb
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000
            Just the heat of the vapor going into it. Thumper is too hot to touch when
            it starts to force vapor thru the condenser. It actually makes a thumping
            noise and vibrates from the vapor being forced thru the liquid you place in
            the te thumper.

            Deb Brewer

            witchwriter@... <mailto:witchwriter@...>

            ICQ #13688671