[Distillers] new still cummin'...Debbie

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2000

      LOL!!!  Can't wait to see a pic :)  Ours is all copper and is quite pretty as well--good conversation piece!  Not sure what a slobber box is tho.  I know ours has a thumper.  without the thumper you would have to cook your mash twice to get the same alcohol content and smoothness.  We always put some of the first runnings in the thumper to increase alcohol content.  Not sure how or why this works--hubby could answer you better about the thumper.

      Recipe:
       5 gallon bucket
      all grain horse feed (we use MannaPro Hi Grain sweet feed) *Brian was gonna get me an analysis of the feed--I'm waiting to get ingredient list--have written company for one)*
      one package of yeast (using bread yeast now--others will increase quality and ferment time)
      5 pounds sugar
      water

      Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket a good 4 inches deep
      Add 5 pounds of sugar
      Fill 1/2 full with warm water--warm enough to melt sugar but not so hot as to kill yeast
      Mix until sugar is dissolved
      add yeast and mix some more
      finish filling with warm water--again not so hot to kill the yeast
      Cover with lid--our lid has a little cap that screws on, leave it loose to breathe

      4-5 days later it's ready to run!  This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well.  Our liquor is always 170-190 proof.  You can substitute corn meal for the grain (horse feed) but I don't recommend this for pot stills cuz you can't filter it well enough.  The meal will settle and burn in the bottom of your still.  The old-fashion way of making corn liquor--with real corn--just is not feasible time wise.  Hope this is what you were asking for!

      Deb Brewer

      witchwriter@...

      ICQ #13688671

      .:*W*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*C*:._.:*H*:._.:*W*:._.:*R*:._.:*I*:._.:*T*:._.:*E*:._.:*R*:.

      Get PAID to surf with AllAdvantage!

      http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=ATQ589

      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        > I know ours has a thumper. without the thumper you would have to
        > cook your mash twice to get the same alcohol content and smoothness. We
        > always put some of the first runnings in the thumper to increase alcohol
        > content. Not sure how or why this works--hubby could answer you better
        > about the thumper.

        O' Hubby of Deb,

        I'm still a little confused as to how the Thumper actually works. From the
        sounds of it, to be getting 170-190 proof, from a single pass, its as
        though the thumber is effectively doing a second distillation for ya. Does
        it have a heat source under it, or is it just the heat of the vapour coming
        into it ?

        Tony
      • Jacques La Marr
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:

          > I'm still a little confused as to how the Thumper actually works. Does
          > it have a heat source under it, or is it just the heat of the vapour coming
          > into it ?
          >
          > Tony

          Tony,

          From what little I know, I do know there is no heat source under the thump
          (slobber) box. You are correct that it just works with hot vapor.

          The copper "slobber box" through which the distilled vapors pass and where much
          of the water vapor, with its inherent bad taste, would condense. There is a
          fine copper screen halfway down the inside of this device to catch any
          sediment, and a petcock at the bottom to allow periodic draining of the water.

          Mark
        • giles@penryn.screaming.net
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000
            For some obscure reason, i am subscribed to this list twice. So
            what?
            Well i get each message twice which used to be just a minor
            irritation, but since the posting of pics of stills this means
            extremely lengthy downloads. Please help.
          • Deb
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2000
              Just the heat of the vapor going into it. Thumper is too hot to touch when
              it starts to force vapor thru the condenser. It actually makes a thumping
              noise and vibrates from the vapor being forced thru the liquid you place in
              the te thumper.

              Deb Brewer

              witchwriter@... <mailto:witchwriter@...>