Re: [Distillers] Still Design

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 3, 2002
      Aaron Pelly wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Still Design

      I've been thinking more seriously about building another column for my
      boiler. I have questions of course 8v)

      1) The (necessarily) cooler temperature of the condensate dripping onto the
      column packing in a N-S design must disrupt the reflux yes? Has anyone
      considered the implications of this? I do recall some brief mention
      somewhere (here or Tony's site I think) of not cooling the condensate too
      much. Should I care?
      The temperature of the condensate does not affect anything.  I have published two analyses of this, both of which show that the column is stable no matter what the temperature of the returned condensate.  Practical observation proves this.  You could cool the condensate with ice, and it would make no difference to the final result.  Don't worry about it.
      2) Would it help to thermally insulate the condenser from the column?
      No
      I imagine that vapour management counters this by allowing you to pull off a
      percentage of the distillate _before_ it is condensed. This allows the
      condenser to be separate from the column. Nevertheless there is still a
      separate cooling coil in the head that must be precisely controlled. On the
      face of it this _seems_ more complicated, but perhaps it gives more
      versatility. Comments and explanations appreciated.
      Vapour management has nothing to do with how efficient the condensers are, and the reflux condenser requires no precise control whatsoever.  It must simply remove all the heat thrown at it, and if it removes more than required to just condense the vapour, then well and good.  There is nothing complicated in all this, so just follow the established designs that have been published and you won't go far wrong.

      Mike

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 25, 2003
        For no welding, have your vapor outlet (12mm copper tube) come out
        from the silicon or rubber bunger at the top (these large ones are
        used in wine barrels), do an arc and then go down parallel to the
        tower. You can make a 600mm long cooling jacket for this from 2/19mm
        plastic hydroponic/drip irrigation 'T-connectors'which have a 12mm
        inlet, and a 19mm PVC tube. Seal gap with silicon. The jacket for the
        copper tube does not have to be from copper as it is only carying
        cooling water. Use 2/13mm PVC tubes connected to the 'T-connectors'
        to provide the inlet and outlet water (in at bottom, out at the top).

        Wal

        <eenwhiskeymetijs@h...>