Specific gravity and all that

  • Self
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2000
      A couple of questions and an observation.
      (1) Is there any way of measuring the sg/purity of distillate without
      a spirit hydrometer? I just guess mine and when i cut the spirit i
      'dilute to taste'
      (2) How important is stripping the wash before full reflux distilation?
      I have distilled directly from the wash and done a preliminary
      distillation in a pot still and can' t taste much difference. (I let the
      yeast settle first)

      We have recently seen a number of stills on th mailing list and
      while gleaming copper is much in evidence, ther is no sign of any
      insulation on either the pot or the column. Surely this is important
      both for stability in the column and just plain fuel economy. I use a
      41 litre ss beer keg for beer stripping and a good wrapping with
      glass wool enables the wash to heat up much faster and maintain
      temperature with a very little heat.
      BTW I had a nice fire this afternoon when my overfilled still spewed
      hot 50% alc beer strippings over me and the gas ring used to heat
      it. Fortunately water was at hand and the flames were easily
      doused. Thinks ...must get that triac sorted out.