first run...is it edible????

  • rudyyj
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      OK...i did it!!!!
      but....
      i think that i may have messed up. i brought the still up to
      temp(170F) which seems to warm but there you have it and that
      is where i left it sit in total reflux for about 45min. then (this is
      where i may have punted the puppy) i cracked the take off valve
      and i think that i drew off a bit fast (no measurements) but for
      good measure i drew off 250ml frm a 11.5L wash (about 3gal).
      the temp then settled down and ran for a good while at 172F
      then when i wasn't looking jumped to 180 and only ran there for
      a short while before approching 200 when i quit.

      i got 8 small bottles total of about 1.75L (i think my was was
      weak)
      bottle 1 --bad 250 ml
      bottle 2 --172
      bottle 3 --172
      bottle 4 --172
      bottle 5 --172-174
      bottle 6--174-180
      bottle 7 --180-195+

      is any of this good? did i contaminate it all when i opened the
      valve to fast? did i fix it by drawing off extra?

      scott
      --this is fun
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        > left it sit in total reflux for about 45min. then (this is
        > where i may have punted the puppy) i cracked the take off valve
        > and i think that i drew off a bit fast

        Try and do this first portion really slowly - just a slow drip, one or two
        per second. That way you'l get a nice tight seperation of the nasty
        foreshots from the rest of the run.

        > .. ran for a good while at 172F
        > then when i wasn't looking jumped to 180 and only ran there for
        > a short while before approching 200 when i quit.

        That jump will always catch you out for the first couple of runs ! Nice to
        hear that it held its temperature steady for so long as it did - the column
        must be working well. Lesser columns will be slowly inc in temperature
        during the course of the whole run.

        Once you get that jump happening, it may pay to start collecting into
        smaller containers, so that you can then nose and judge exactly when to
        stop. Once you've done this for a couple of runs, you're ok to collect
        into larger containers again, and just go for your target mark.

        Keep good notes on the first couple of runs - times, quantities, volumes
        etc, so that you can compare them, and start to anticipate the changes
        before they happen. Soon you'l be doing it without the notes, just
        listening to the burble of the still, with an hand on the column, and a sly
        grin on your face (and a good check on your watch).

        Tony