Re: [Distillers] New poll for Distillers

  • Zeke Jones
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hmmm...I couldnt find the 'Who gives a SHIT? category....:>)

      >From: Distillers@yahoogroups.com To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com Subject:
      >[Distillers] New poll for Distillers
      >Date: 2 Sep 2002 00:31:57 -0000
      >

      >Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
      >Distillers group:
      >
      >How do you paticipate in this
      >newsgroup?
      >
      > o 1. I am a lurker and never participate.
      > o 2. I am a lurker and never participate even in this poll
      > o 3. I activley paticipate but use a redirected anonymous email address
      > o 4. I actively participate by posting to this group for all to see
      > o 5. I paticipate by emailing direct to the person with my information.
      > o 6. I am a government revenue agent looking for illegal
      >moonshiners´┐Ż..be honest.
      >

      >To vote, please visit the following web page:

      >Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are
      >not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the Yahoo! Groups
      >web site listed above.
      >
      >Thanks!

    • Barnard, Bertus (Exchange)
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 14, 2002
        I would just like to add my opinion regarding the poll. Seems like any poll, the questions are always in some way biased to weight the outcome in one or other direction. I voted but the options available does not really reflect how safety conscious a person may or may not be. A person using an open flame heat source may be far more safety conscious that a person using an electric element. I personally consider myself extremely conscious of safety even though I am using an open flame. My setup was constructed for an open flame and I am not prepared to change a system that is working perfectly well just for the sake of make believe increased safety. This is not a political site, so grow up and think of realistic questions to base your polls on. Safety is not based on what you use or don't use as a heat source.
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 14, 2002
          I agree. I use electric heat. I never leave the still unattended,
          and I'm paranoid about saftey. But I don't keep a proper fire
          extinguisher. I do keep a water hose on hand at all times.
          In the poll, I didn't really fit the description of any of the
          options. I found the polls on still diameter, input power, etc to be
          more interesting. The polls don't bother me a bit. I can choose to
          participate or not.

          -A

          --- In Distillers@y..., "Barnard, Bertus (Exchange)" <bbarnard@e...>
          wrote:
          > I would just like to add my opinion regarding the poll. Seems like
          any poll, the questions are always in some way biased to weight the
          outcome in one or other direction. I voted but the options available
          does not really reflect how safety conscious a person may or may not
          be. A person using an open flame heat source may be far more safety
          conscious that a person using an electric element. I personally
          consider myself extremely conscious of safety even though I am using
          an open flame. My setup was constructed for an open flame and I am not
          prepared to change a system that is working perfectly well just for
          the sake of make believe increased safety. This is not a political
          site, so grow up and think of realistic questions to base your polls
          on. Safety is not based on what you use or don't use as a heat source.

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2225
          242/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=810327/R=0/*http
          ://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>
          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2225
          242/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=810327/R=1/*http
          ://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=212804.2460941.3
          878106.2225242/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=810327/rand=237254376>

          > To unsubscribe from this group send an email to
          distillers-unsubscribe@o...

        • Austin Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12, 2003
            That's not my understanding at all. Someone modified an existing design (a new head) and put his initials on the modified drawing, which is common practice for engineers.

            You're not helping this problem.

          • Bill Healey
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2004
              Sorry guys, but alot of us are not savy enough about the different types of groups and how they work.
              Some of us are barely computer literate ( us old guys especially) I suggest you the moderaters, or whatever you are called make the decision, based on the overall accesability, ease of access and general user friendly attributes of whatever system you decide on. It would be nice if we could go to one place for photos (unlimited amount, that are catagorized by say stills, set-ups head designs etc.) another for the files where everthing is in order by catagory, receipes, liquors by distillation or concentrates, yeast culture, methodology etc.
              Just my 2cents worth, Hope I havent rambled on too long and was coherent, as I was out at friends place last night and had to drink their store bought liquer. Resulting in a fuzzy head and a bit of a hangover.
              Cheers Bill...
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2004
                Then Again, some of us just may be slow getting the vote in, but like
                the enduring soul's we are it gets done.
                I too encourage everyone to vote on this one.
                Over-the-Rail, and Down the Hatch.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Healey" <billhealey@s...>

                Service.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > Sorry guys, but alot of us are not savy enough about the different
                  types of groups and how they work.
                  > Some of us are barely computer literate ( us old guys especially)
                  I suggest you the moderaters, or whatever you are called make the
                  decision, based on the overall accesability, ease of access and
                  general user friendly attributes of whatever system you decide on.
                  It would be nice if we could go to one place for photos (unlimited
                  amount, that are catagorized by say stills, set-ups head designs
                  etc.) another for the files where everthing is in order by catagory,
                  receipes, liquors by distillation or concentrates, yeast culture,
                  methodology etc.
                  > Just my 2cents worth, Hope I havent rambled on too long and was
                  coherent, as I was out at friends place last night and had to drink
                  their store bought liquer. Resulting in a fuzzy head and a bit of a
                  hangover.
                  > Cheers Bill...

                  Hi Bill,
                  Apologies not necessary. On the contrary, your response is exactly
                  what we are looking for, the opinions, needs, and wishes of
                  members. With a fuller picture, we can make informed decisions.
                  Without, we're flying blind.
                  (from one "old guy" to another) ;-)

                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 23, 2005
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 24, 2005
                      ---snip---

                      > This
                      > is a Dead Parrot!
                      >
                      > All the best,
                      > Mike N

                      He ain't dead. He's just resting =)
                    • Brian Stephens
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 25, 2005
                        This parrot is probably a "Norweigian Blue" and only stunned, they stun
                        easily the "Norweigian Blue" :))

                        On 6/24/05, dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:

                        > ---snip---
                        >
                        > > This
                        > > is a Dead Parrot!
                        > >
                        > > All the best,
                        > > Mike N
                        >

                        > He ain't dead. He's just resting =)

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Matt Auger
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30 8:11 AM
                          I use propane, and I do my distilling on my back deck, so I usually do wait
                          for cover of dark to operate. Makes me feel cagey....:)

                          Posted by: "Larry" larry@...
                          <larry@...?Subject=Re:+New%20poll%20for%20Distillers>
                          barefootlarry
                          <http://profiles.yahoo.com/barefootlarry> Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 am (PST)
                          <snip>

                          The other thing is that Moonshine supposedly got it's name due to stills
                          being run only after dark, when smoke from the open fires was harder to
                          spot, giving away the still's location.

                          So, find a low spot in the terrain, like a dry creek bed, to hide your
                          fire's hot coals from view, then run the wash only after dark. <grin>

                        • Robert Hubble
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 30 6:59 PM
                            Larry and Cary, I concur.

                            Once (long ago in a galaxy far away) I built this seriously cool stealth
                            still, a potstill naturally, that in civilian life was used as a waste-paper
                            incinerator. When I fished certain innocuous parts out of my blacksmithing
                            scrap-iron pile, and hooked those parts to previously un-noticed points on
                            the incinerator, and dropped a pressure cooker in place of the removable
                            top, and hooked that to an (apparently) old steel ammunition can, the
                            incinerator became a woodburning still.

                            As cool as this "transformer" still was, it was cranky to regulate, the
                            output quality was spotty, and the bad stuff was *truly* nasty (with care,
                            it did produce the odd nice batch).

                            Long story short, stick with electricity or gas (I use propane now).

                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller