rum turbo?

  • ranmans1
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
      Ok im about to tackle my first rum wash in my pot still. I plan on
      using stillspirits turbo yeast. I plan on using molasses and maybe
      some regular sugar. I have heard that molasses is only half sugar so
      should I double the amount it calls for.?
      On the package it says to use 6kg of sugar. Does this mean I should
      use 12kg of molasses? or maybe 6kg molasses and 3kg of sugar?

      Any help is appreciated.... id love to hear about any of your rum
      recipes.
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
        > Ok im about to tackle my first rum wash in my pot still. I plan on
        > using stillspirits turbo yeast. I plan on using molasses and maybe
        > some regular sugar. I have heard that molasses is only half sugar so
        > should I double the amount it calls for.?
        > On the package it says to use 6kg of sugar. Does this mean I should
        > use 12kg of molasses? or maybe 6kg molasses and 3kg of sugar?

        Thats fairly much what I've done before, and its turned out fine. I think
        it could probably be improved by using more of a beer yeast (and then not
        quite as much molassas), but thats up to you - what you suggest is fine.
        Whether to use sugar or mollasas is up to you - it will be lighter with
        the sugar. Me - I was trying to make like the strong and firery Fijian
        rums, and so wanted all the body and taste in there i could get.
        Deliberately left the cut a bit late too just to get all the taste.

        For recipes see http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#rum2 and
        http://homedistiller.org/dtw.htm

        Tony
      • amme_b
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
          I understand that increasing the amount of molasses in your wash
          (i.e. higher specific gravity) can lead to fermentation problems. I
          found a good discussion of this issue and possible solutions at:

          http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/chemeng/WebResources/AndrewHoadley/Proces
          s_Integration/chapt06.pdf

          --- In Distillers@y..., "ranmans1" <ranmans1@y...> wrote:
          > Ok im about to tackle my first rum wash in my pot still. I plan on
          > using stillspirits turbo yeast. I plan on using molasses and maybe
          > some regular sugar. I have heard that molasses is only half sugar
          so
          > should I double the amount it calls for.?
          > On the package it says to use 6kg of sugar. Does this mean I should
          > use 12kg of molasses? or maybe 6kg molasses and 3kg of sugar?
          >
          > Any help is appreciated.... id love to hear about any of your rum
          > recipes.
        • amme_b
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
            Here's another crack at posting the link...maybe it will work this
            time.

            --- In Distillers@y..., "amme_b" <belaw@b...> wrote:
            > I understand that increasing the amount of molasses in your wash
            > (i.e. higher specific gravity) can lead to fermentation problems.
            > found a good discussion of this issue and possible solutions at:

            http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/chemeng/WebResources/AndrewHoadley/Proces
            > s_Integration/chapt06.pdf
            >
            > --- In Distillers@y..., "ranmans1" <ranmans1@y...> wrote:
            > > Ok im about to tackle my first rum wash in my pot still. I plan
            on
            > > using stillspirits turbo yeast. I plan on using molasses and
            maybe
            > > some regular sugar. I have heard that molasses is only half sugar
            > so
            > > should I double the amount it calls for.?
            > > On the package it says to use 6kg of sugar. Does this mean I
            should
            > > use 12kg of molasses? or maybe 6kg molasses and 3kg of sugar?
            > >
            > > Any help is appreciated.... id love to hear about any of your rum
            > > recipes.
          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
              > http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/chemeng/WebResources/AndrewHoadley/Process_Integration/chapt06.pdf

              I see that Andrew also has chapter 17 in the same directory.
              I'll see about contacting him privately about the distilling, and see if he has much other info to share - I use to work with him a couple of years back.

              Tony
            • amme_b
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
                Tony:

                The article I posted is from The Alcohol Textbook. I would love to
                have it, but at U.S. $150 it is a bit pricey. J.E. Murtagh, who
                wrote Chapter 6 (which was posted on the link I provided) also wrote
                Chapter 16, titled "Feedstocks, fermentation and distillation for
                production of heavy and light rums."

                --- In Distillers@y..., "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...>
                wrote:

                http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/chemeng/WebResources/AndrewHoadley/Proces
                s_Integration/chapt06.pdf

                > I see that Andrew also has chapter 17 in the same directory.
                > I'll see about contacting him privately about the distilling, and
                see if he has much other info to share - I use to work with him a
                couple of years back.

                > Tony
              • Matt
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2002
                  On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 02:14:11PM -0000, amme_b wrote:
                  > The article I posted is from The Alcohol Textbook. I would love to
                  > have it, but at U.S. $150 it is a bit pricey. J.E. Murtagh, who
                  > wrote Chapter 6 (which was posted on the link I provided) also wrote
                  > Chapter 16, titled "Feedstocks, fermentation and distillation for
                  > production of heavy and light rums."

                  I too once thought you had to shell out $US 150 for this book. turns out
                  that's a made up price by a certain person States-side. :) Nottingham
                  University Press used to sell this book for BSP 49.50 which worked out to
                  about $US 75. But now they sell it for for BSP 59.50 which works out to
                  about $US 93 right now. Not as good a deal as it once was but it beats
                  $150. Check http://www.nup.com for their catalog.

                  Matthew @ psibercom