Making Rye Whisky

  • nancyrae@xxxx.xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 1999
      I used the recipe form Irving Hirshch book (Whiskey,Brandy &
      Cordials)and we sized it down to fit a 8 gallon still,
      and had very good results. this is for 6 gallons or 22 liter batch.

      Rye Whisky

      11 lbs. Of ground rye are added to 3 gallons of water previously heated to 145
      degrees Fahrenheit, and steeped for 1 � hours with the lid on the vessel you
      are using. The temp will drop to about 110 deg Fahrenheit. Add 2 � gallons
      of boiling water to raise the temp to 150 deg Fahrenheit. Let the mash stand
      for two hours, them mix in � gallon of cold water until the temp drops to 95
      deg Fahrenheit or less. Now add � cup or 4.5 oz of pressed yeast which has
      been mixed with water. Keep wash between 65 and 80 deg Fahrenheit and this
      can be done by putting a fish tank heater in your container with a rubber plug
      around the cord to seal the hole, and use a air lock on the container. After
      fermentation has ceased. The wash is them filtered out by using a large funnel
      with linen cloth on the inside or you can use a large screen sieve.

      NOTE: If you use malted rye instead of ground rye for the mash , it will
      improve your whisky immensely, But sometimes malted rye is hard to get here
      because people buy it up so fast. Give it a try, we tryed both malted and
      unmalted rye, and malted does have a little better body to it. And from now on
      I will use the name of Rusty instead of Ray because we already have two here
      and it becomes confusing at times. Thank you Rusty from USA