Metal Taste

  • restevns
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
      I'm only on batch #3, so be gentle. We are using a nice N/S design
      still head (actually the double reducer Overflow design), on a 19%
      wash, made by Alcotec 8. Our 1.5 meter column is stuffed with S/S
      Scrubbies, and we ensure equilibrium by running 100% reflux for
      about an hour before collecting any distillate.

      Our issue is a slightly 'metallic' taste to resulting distillate.
      Even after activated carbon polishing (reducing to 40% abv first) we
      still get the taste. Pulling the scrubbies out, it smells as
      thought the resultant taste comes from them. We have run the
      scrubbies thru the dishwasher multiple time, boiled in water, and
      they are now sitting in a bath of diluted FSD-#$, recommended by the
      local brew shop. Are the scrubbies the issue? Does this problem
      bedevil anyone else? Am I being too particular?

      I know that ever else seems to love the little devils, but I'm
      seriously considering moving to marbles, or rasching rings, or
      something else with a lower potential HEAP level, but a more inert
      quality...

      Any suggestions greatly desired!!!!!
    • Reima
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
        Here is perhaps another way, I use 1/2 and 1/2, Rachidrings on top and SS scrubbies bottom. Turbo Extra, 8kg. sugar, 10 days ferment and discard about 0,8 litre foreshot until all nailpolish smell is out. Then distil around 78,2 C no higher receive about 4 litres of 96% no tails. Then run vinegar-water through about 3 litres. Then only water and after that redistill the 4 litre. No carbon treatment required, no smell, drop of it only tastes hot, cause it is 96%.
        Mine is the "BeerKeg" pictures at forum.
        Cheers, Reima
[...]

      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
          > Our issue is a slightly 'metallic' taste to resulting distillate.

          Would your still happen to be of all-stainless steel construction ?
          Do you have only a little copper in contact with the vapour ?
          Sometimes (not every) this has been a problem - with various fixes like putting a couple of strips of thin copper in with the scrubbers, or using copper scrubbers.

          Tony
        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
            Gramps,

            Theres a fair bit of division in the group about whether all stainless-steel construction (or at least "no copper") is to blame or not. Many like yourself have absolutely no problems with it. But theres been a handful who have found that adding some copper did make a difference. I don't know what the absolute truth is about it, but figure that its something easy to try if having problems.

            As pointed out in http://homedistiller.org/materials.htm#copper theres a fair bit of good that copper can do in terms of binding some of the offensive smells/flavours. Maybe you're doing something different (good) with your wash in the first place to not generate the flavours.

            Tony