Re: [Distillers] turbo/sugar/water???

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
      Congratulations!
      You have now done your first successful fermentation.  If the SG is below 1, then you have done very well.

      Some people like to clear their ferment before distilling, others don't bother.  I am amongst tha latter, and have never experienced any problems.

      The first step is now to draw off the liquid from the fermentation vessel, leaving behind the sludge of dead yeast at the bottom, and do a quick pot still to extract all the volatiles that you have.  This will leave you with a nice, clear liquid that will probably measure around 40% using a spirits hydrometer (the yield will be higher strength initially, but this drops as you go along).  This is as far as you need go if you want moonshine, but if you want to remove most of the flavours and smell that some don't like, then you will need to put this through either a simple reflux still or a compound still.  There are many designs, and a quick visit to Tony Ackland's website http://www.homedistiller.org should give you all the help you need.

      Mike