Fwd: Gin - Vapour extraction Quantities

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2002
      Bombay Sapphire Gin uses a Carterhead Still, which is a type of reflux
      column - the vapor from this then goes into a tank (gin head) that
      resembles a 'doubler' on a moonshine pot still. This tank contains
      botanicals on a sieve type tray. The flavor of the gin is apparently
      more subtle than other gins using soaking (24 hrs) and then
      redistilling. Some Dutch companies use several redistillations using
      different botanicals each time as different botanicals release their
      oils at different times.
      Their recipes are now formulated on the basis of essential oil content
      as botanicals vary in this depending on geography and climatic
      conditions.
      That's all I have picked up in the literature around.
      Wal

      --- In Distillers@y..., Robert Stam <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
      Hi Noel,

      Yes I agree that the taste is probably quite subjective, you either
      like it
      or you don't, and you can't please everyone. Also the freshness of the
      botanicals would be an issue.

      I was going to 'redistill' a wash of ethanol @ 96.6%abv diluted with
      filtered water down to say 45% abv. The temperature changes will
      still be a
      problem as the ethanol/water mix changes, but perhaps I can take cuts
      from
      the output and compare later.

      I'll give it a go using the infusion mixture from the Archives Msg
      2132:

      Waljaco's comment:
      Quantities intrigue me also.
      Your message 2132 is the most authoratative on botanical
      proportions,
      which would be 2 parts juniper, 1 part coriander, 1/4 part
      cassia
      bark and angelica root, and 1/40 part for the other
      botanicals.
      Multiply by 10g to get quantity to flavor 1 litre of alcohol
      @45%abv.
      as it appears about 40g of botanicals is sufficient. i.e. you
      could
      macerate the 40g of botanicals in 1 litre alcohol 45%abv, and
      redistill. Dilute to 45%abv again. 45%abv appears ideal to
      hold the
      volatile essential oils.

      So for steeping in 4 litres of 45% abv I would use:

      80g Juniper berries, bruised
      40g Coriander seeds
      5g Cassia bark
      5g Angelica Root
      1g Lemon peel

      I wonder if Waljaco or anyone else would care to comment on the
      quantities
      required for suspending the botanicals in the column and just heating
      the 4
      litres of 45%abv in the boiler? Since the botanicals are not steeped
      but
      subjected to heat and water/ethanol vapour would the quantities need
      to be
      considerably larger, or are the majority of volatiles extracted quite
      quickly and early on? Also, as the re-distillation progresses, the
      proportion of ethanol in the vapour would start of rich and descend
      down to
      lean, extracting, I suppose a different range of volatiles from the
      botanicals.

      Cheers, Rob