RE: [Distillers] Quick "Cointreau"

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
      > One method of making a clear citrus liqueur, without redistilling, is
      > to suspend (in muslin) the citrus fruit just above alcohol (5mm) in
      > a latrge jar, so that the alcohol absorbs the volatile citrus
      > essential oils.

      An easy way to do this is to sit it on a small shot glass inside the jar -
      one tall enough to keep the citrus above the liquid. The orange (or
      whatever you use) will slowly sweat out its oils (because of the alcohol
      vapour they're surrounded by), and they'll drip down to flavour the alcohol
      below. Great just to leave out on a window sill and watch it happen. For
      the sugar syrup, I've found that brown sugar often adds a nicer touch to
      these ones.

      Tony