Nixon-Stone, what is it?

  • mikegasmier
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2002
      Hi, I've been checking out this board and a couple of the excellent
      sites associated. Looking through it all, it seems most everyone is
      using a Nixon-Stone still. I have never heard of this type of still
      before. Is it a brand name or a type of design. People are
      referring to their home-made stills as being of this type, so I guess
      it must be a type of design.

      As far as I can gather, it is essentially a reflux still with one
      small modification. It has a tap off from the outlet of the
      condenser running back to the kettle with a non-return valve in
      line. The point of this is so that the spirit leaving the still is
      run back into the still via the tap off thereby increasing the reflux
      ratio further. The non-return valve prevents the loss of vapour from
      the kettle.

      Is this correct? I have not been able to find a good description of
      how the Nixon-Stone still works, only descriptions of reflux stills,
      which I already know.

      Thanks.
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2002
        On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:24:14AM -0000, mikegasmier wrote:
        > Hi, I've been checking out this board and a couple of the excellent
        > sites associated. Looking through it all, it seems most everyone is
        > using a Nixon-Stone still. I have never heard of this type of still

        heh we just had a thread on this. Check messages 5886, 5889, and 5893 and the
        others in the messages section of the Yahoo Distillers Group :)
        Matthew @ psibercom
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2002
          Sounds like you haven't yet found Tony Ackland's excellent website:

          You should find all the answers you need there, and more.

          All the best,
          Mike Nixon