Practical Distillation - UK sources of info

  • Dick Grindley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 1999
      Hi all,
      My apologies to anyone who wanted a copy of that Excel Mash
      Efficiency Spreadsheet, I think the problem is occurring once an e-mail
      & attachment got into the Onelist system - if you want a copy e-mail me
      & I'll send direct.

      As practical home distillation is not encouraged in this part of
      the world information is a bit hard to come by but the following is
      freely available & makes interesting reading:

      Distillation of Alcohol & De-Naturing - FB Wright 1918
      Manufacture of Whiskey, Brandy & Cordials - I Hirsch 1937
      Practical Distiller - L Monzert 1889

      Fairly historical information & tending to deal with rather
      larger quantities than the home distiller might usually consider
      practical, but interesting all the same. All three reprinted by Lindsay
      Publications Inc & available from Camden Miniature Steam Services

      The Secrets of Building an Alcohol Producing Still - VR Gingery - 1994
      Practical instructions & plans for building a reflux still. Available
      from Camden Miniature Steam Services

      The Craft of House Brewing - C La Pensee 1996 - Publ Montag but I think
      available via BruPak
      Primarily dealing with home brew beer but a good section on yeast
      propagation/cultivation.

      The Historical Companion to House Brewing - C La Pensee 1990 - Publ
      Montag but I think available via BruPak
      Again, primarily dealing with beer brewing but interesting chapters on
      home malting of barley.

      Yeast Culturing for the Homebrewer - Rog Leistad 1996 - Publ Private but
      available via BruPak
      An excellent guide to propagation, long term storage & use of brewing
      yeasts.

      Instructions, Methods, Hints & Recipes for the Mk 13 Still - Spirits
      Unlimited, Auckland, NZ.
      V.interesting, a prime source of 'how to' information. Not sure how
      you'd get a copy, may be some of the NZ newsgroup members could talk to
      SU nicely & include it on one of their web sites ?????

      Camden Miniature Steam Services, Barrow Farm, Rode, Bath, Somerset BA3
      6PS Tel 01373 830151

      Montag Publications - 6 Minster Av, Beverly, HU17 0NL

      BruPaks - 2 Kennedy Av, Fixby, Huddersfield HD2 2HJ Tel 01484 841116
      e-mail brupaks@..., http:\\www.brupaks.demon.co.uk
      (BruPaks deal only wholesale but their products are available through
      most home brew shops, contact them for your nearest dealer).

      A very practical reflux still design by Bob Lennon can be found
      at: http:\\homestead.dejanews.com/user.boblennon/Page1a.html & although
      using imperial measurements I am told that similar metric sizes are
      available from good UK plumbing material or non-ferrous metal suppliers.

      A question from me, has anyone found a suitable alternative to
      Rashig rings for use in a reflux still tower ?? I've heard of broken car
      windscreen bits being used & Gingery uses glass marbles, any other
      suggestions ??
      --
      Dick