Still Plans

  • Alistair Louden
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 1999
      Anyone got a nice simple plan on making a simple still. I can't import one
      from NZ as I've been told the customs in UK will confiscate it on arrival.I
      thought of using a pressure cooker as a boiler, good ealing lid ,some 1/2"
      copper pipe to take the vapour over to the condenser. Now that where I run
      into trouble, has someone out there made a simple but effective condenser
      using copper pipe of differect diameters , the outer larger pipe having the
      requisite water intake and outlets. I'm not sure about building a reflux
      tower.
      I assume everything would have to be in scale. I mean a pressure cooker has
      a capacity of 5 to 6 litres of wash, so how tall must the tower be, how long
      to make the copper liebig condenser,so it will work efficiently? I am even
      having difficulty sourcing turbo yeast and flavourings from within the
      United Kingdom. Has anyone else had sucess importing a 5 litre or 24 litre
      reflux into this OVER-TAXED country of ours?
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Regards
      Big Al
    • erwin_eastwood@xxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 1999
        Big Al,
        don't let you scare away by the customs. I thought, the same thing would happen
        to me, in the Netherlands, where it is even illegal to have a distilling-device
        in your possession. (Check your laws!)
        So I bought one, a distilling head that is, in NZ, and just within a week
        or two,it arrived. No problems at all. I welded -well I let it do- it on top of
        my pressure cooker and voila, there's my distillery!
        Results are not as I hoped for. This has to do with the size of my (5 liter)
        pressure cooker; Vapors have no way to develop inside! So I am thinking of using
        a milk-vessel.
        But if you want something to build: look into this:
        http://stillmaker.dreamhost.com/page2.htm

        Regards
        Erwin