Amaretto

  • santosmorgan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
      Does anyone have a good Amaretto recipe. I've heard of something
      using almond extract and honey ...?

      Thanks,
      Charlie
    • loulenz2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        So my friend down the street has alomond trees, and they are ready. I
        was wondering if anyone knows whether they need to be toasted first
        for making an amaretto or almond liquer, or only dried. Thanks, Lou
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          You need bitter almonds (amaro means bitter in Italian). Apricot
          kernels make a suitable substitute. You can also use peach kernels as
          for Persicot.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loulenz2002" <loulenz2002@...> wrote:

          > So my friend down the street has alomond trees, and they are ready. I
          > was wondering if anyone knows whether they need to be toasted first
          > for making an amaretto or almond liquer, or only dried. Thanks, Lou

        • jamesonbeam1
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
            Wal,

            I would be careful suggesting usuing peach or apricot kernels for
            maceration purposes:

            "The kernel inside the peach pit contains cyanide.
            Other fruits containing cyanide in their pits are apricots,
            cherries, nectarines, plums and even apple seeds.

            If you are juicing or cooking fruit it's best to remove the seed
            pockets from apples and the pits of other fruits beforehand.

            The body defends itself naturally against small amounts
            of cyanide but better to be safe than sorry.

            I would definitely remove all seeds and pits before consuming the
            fruit."

            While cherry seeds are used in making various cherry liquors, dont
            think they contain as much as peach or apricot stones do.

            I have even heard of a guy dying on his birthday by eating too many
            apple seeds for a bet or something.

            Vino es Veritas,
            Jim.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
              Actually Wal,

              In Home Distillers, wasnt it you that said this?

              "Plants do however have the ability to work with vast amounts of
              carbon and nitrogen, this results in most hard seeds containing
              cyanide (the cyanide radical is CN-). Not really enough to injure
              anyone, infact commercially made Kirsch (cherry brandy) uses ground
              up seeds to give a nut like flavor (cyanide tastes kind of like an
              intense bitter almond flavor). In some recipes grinding up the seeds
              of delicate tasting fruits should be avoided but with something more
              robust (like apple), it should be of no concern.

              Wal elaborates ...
              The kernels of prunus species (plums, cherries, apricots, apples)
              contain HCN - hydrocyanic acid, formerly known as prussic acid. 0.05g
              is a lethal dose for an adult. It has been recorded that a person
              died from eating a whole cup of apple pips as a treat on his
              birthday! Normally, when macerating these fruits in alcohol, the
              stones should be removed, although small amounts are used for
              flavoring purposes (e.g. Maraschino).

              Fruit mashes (i.e. with stones included) should not be a problem for
              the distiller, as HCN is susceptible to hydrolysis at high
              temperatures."

              Vino es Veritas,
              Jim.

              > Wal,
              >
              > I would be careful suggesting usuing peach or apricot kernels for
              > maceration purposes:
              >
              > "The kernel inside the peach pit contains cyanide.
              > Other fruits containing cyanide in their pits are apricots,
              > cherries, nectarines, plums and even apple seeds.
              >
              > If you are juicing or cooking fruit it's best to remove the seed
              > pockets from apples and the pits of other fruits beforehand.
              >
              > The body defends itself naturally against small amounts
              > of cyanide but better to be safe than sorry.
              ___snip____
            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                jameson,

                I've got some dried apricot kernels that I've been saving for a fairly conventional gin, as opposed to the killer-juniper stuff my friends seem to like, and their taste is *very* suggestive of Amaretto. If, as someone mentioned, it's true about the cyanide group breaking down at distillation temperatures, I won't worry about the gin. (I wasn't planning on worrying anyway, although I've always been aware of the cyanide content of stone fruit pits.)

                Got to get with it. It'll be gin season before you know it.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: jamesonbeam1@...
                Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:34:21 +0000
                Subject: [Distillers] Re: Amaretto

                Wal,
                I would be careful suggesting usuing peach or apricot kernels for
                maceration purposes:
                "The kernel inside the peach pit contains cyanide.
                Other fruits containing cyanide in their pits are apricots,
                cherries, nectarines, plums and even apple seeds.

                If you are juicing or cooking fruit it's best to remove the seed
                pockets from apples and the pits of other fruits beforehand.

                The body defends itself naturally against small amounts
                of cyanide but better to be safe than sorry.

                I would definitely remove all seeds and pits before consuming the
                fruit."

                I have even heard of a guy dying on his birthday by eating too many
                apple seeds on a bet or something.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                  The subject of HCN in prunus sp. has been dealt with. It is a question
                  of quantity. To my knowledge no one has died from 18th century recipes
                  that use prunus sp. kernels. If worried, use bitter almond essence
                  which has been 'cleaned up'.
                  wal