Re: Mike .... Reactivating Carbon

  • pactumuk
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
      Hello Mike
      I saved your answer to Smudge for later use ......but now comes the
      crunch.
      I have the 40 % I have the carbon too but do I treat this in some way
      before using it ?
      Gert says wash it etc etc but is this necessary ?
      Thanks
      pactumuk

    • Mike Nixon
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
        pactumuk wrote:
        Subject: [Distillers] Re: Mike .... Reactivating Carbon

        Hello Mike
        I saved your answer to Smudge for later use (re. cleaning used carbon)
        ......but now comes the crunch. I have the 40 % I have the carbon too but do
        I treat this in some way before using it ? Gert says wash it etc etc but is
        this necessary ?
        Thanks
        pactumuk
        Morning!

        If you are asking whether new carbon should be washed first before use, the
        answer is yes. Some rather nasty chemicals are used in many processes to
        produce activated carbon, and although some manufacturers take care to wash
        these out thoroughly before sale, unfortunately others do not. Without
        knowing who made the stuff (no reflection on retailers!), it is therefore
        sensible to wash all new carbon before use, as you would wash anything new
        that will be in contact with food or beverages. You don't need to go
        overboard ... this is not like getting rid of congeners adsorbed inside used
        carbon. A simple good rinsing should suffice.

        Cheers!
        Mike
      • pactumuk
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
          Mike

          It is from Prestige, the man himself, but I'll wash it just the same.
          Cheers again