Please look over my design before I build

  • Nicholas Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hello all,

      I'm asking for comments on my current design (attached) before I visit the
      plumbing supply house.

      The design is an inline variant of the Nixon/Stone design. This design is
      my attempt at minimizing the number of large (expensive) fittings and the
      required amount of modification to standard pipe and fittings, thus easing
      construction and ensuring proper sealing. Unions (the tapered metal to
      metal seal type) are used to allow for cleaning and removal of packing.

      The vapor/liquid separation is handled by a section of 3/4" pipe extended
      through the top two bell adapters. Its top extension is drilled and a 1"
      cap is placed over the top (not soldered) to prevent condensate from
      dropping directly back into the column.

      The only modifications needed to standard fittings and pipe will be drilling
      holes for the thermowell and needle valve, filing out the stops in the upper
      two bells and drilling holes in the vapor/liquid separator.

      Let me know if you see any potential problem or if any improvements suggest
      themselves.

      Thanks

      Nick

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002

        Nick, I recently made almost the exact column, and it works fine. I used a copper “T” and cut off the top 2 connections, so that left me with a covered pipe to return the distillate back to the column. The reservoir collects 25-30ml. Which is fine

        Bob

[...]

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
          Nick,

          > Let me know if you see any potential problem or if any improvements
          suggest
          > themselves.

          I'd suggest a 2" column, rather than 1.5" It will just be a little less
          prone to clogging, is easier to pack, can handle more heat (go faster) etc.

          Tony