RE: [Distillers] Additional sugar to fruit

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2002
      Another way to do this is to add the blackberries to a previously made neutral spirit, let it soak and infuse for a month or so, then strain out the liquid and run this through your still at a no reflux. You can collect everything since you are starting with a clean distillate and no fermentation will have taken place with the blackberries.
      Rob
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2002
        I tend to add sugar until the 16%abv range is reached after fermentation
        (about 29brix).
        I can get a good 60%abv schnaps in a single run in a potstill this way- not
        having to use a reflux still, or run it through the potstill twice really
        helps to preserve the aroma.
        Besides, the book I bought on schnaps (in German) says to make it that way-
        and it works perfectly- no loss of flavor, as long as you add some extra acid
        to the must.
      • ups474@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2002
          The "soak in vodka and redistill" method makes a product called aromatic
          schnaps- not the regular type of schnaps - it has an excellent aroma, but if
          you hold your breath and taste it - there is no taste!
          I've been making cherry schnaps by fermenting to 16%abv, then adding some
          fresh cherry juice to the mash as I load the still- the best of both worlds.