Vacuum distillation

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2002
      Has anyone got a working vacuum distillation set up that they'd care to
      discuss, take a few photos of ?

      I've never seen one, and was mistakenly under the impression that the
      vacuum was applied to the top of the column, to the vapour prior to the
      condensor. But some off-list emails with David pointed out the error of my
      ways - because of PV=nRT, having 1/10 the regular pressure would mean
      having 10x the vapour flow, the vacuum system would have to be huge. He
      suggested that the vacuum posibly is applied after the condensor. This is
      also the case described at http://www.cmt-enviro-serv.com/vacuumdist2.html
      (a vacuum distiller for solvent recovery).

      Could anyone please clarify / correct the layout of a vacuum column for me
      ? How do you generate reflux to return back over the packing - a primary
      cooler at the top of the column, or a return off after the main condensor &
      vacuuum pump ?

      Any photos / drawings etc would also be a great help.

      Tony
    • Nicholas Hamilton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2002
        >Has anyone got a working vacuum distillation set up that they'd care to
        >discuss, take a few photos of ?

        sorry <grin>

        >I've never seen one, and was mistakenly under the impression that the
        >vacuum was applied to the top of the column, to the vapor prior to the
        >condenser. But some off-list emails with David pointed out the error of my
        >ways - because of PV=nRT, having 1/10 the regular pressure would mean
        >having 10x the vapor flow, the vacuum system would have to be huge. He
        >suggested that the vacuum possibly is applied after the condenser. This is
        >also the case described at http://www.cmt-enviro-serv.com/vacuumdist2.html
        > (a vacuum distiller for solvent recovery).

        see attached scan for the typical layout (chem. lab style)

        >Could anyone please clarify / correct the layout of a vacuum column for me
        >? How do you generate reflux to return back over the packing - a primary
        >cooler at the top of the column, or a return off after the main condenser &
        >vacuuum pump ?

        could be done either way but remember that a condensor on a vacuum setup
        need to be cooled to a much lower temperature to be effective

        >Any photos / drawings etc would also be a great help.
        >
        >Tony

        the scan is the clearest that I have; if you have any questions ask

        Nick
        nhamilto40@...

      • tmdellinger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 29, 2002
          --- In Distillers@y..., "Nicholas Hamilton" <nhamilto40@h...> wrote:

          > see attached scan for the typical layout (chem. lab style)

          It should also be noted that chemists will generally put
          a cold trap (a liquid nitrogen cooled condenser) between
          the vacuum pump and anything that the vacuum pump is
          connected to. This prevents sovlent, water, etc. from
          going through the vacuum pump, which would contaminate
          the vacuum pump oil and possibly spoil the seals in the
          pump.
        • riverpiratesteve
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
            Have been reading a little and examinging the prospect of using vacuum distillation. I noticed schematic saved in files of a vacuum still was also featured on another site 3rdrockenergy.com. But they are charging for the complete palns.

            I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience dealing with these people or are able to point me in the direction of some good resources on this subject.

            My intent is to build a small scale(table top) continous vacuum still to test the theory out. Then to go to a larger scale for fuel ethanol production this summer..

            If anyone has any applicable information or links, they would be greatly appreciated

            tnx, steve
          • joe giffen
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              Hi,