Ethanol

  • Robert Stam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
      Hi, I guess this is slightly outside the art of distilling, but maybe
      someone can advise me.

      I have got a few liters of 96.6% abv from a winemaker friend. It is
      basically just ethanol, neutral spirit. I thought I could just add water and
      call it vodka, but even cut down to 40% it still has that hot burning taste
      and just smells of alcohol. Not surprising I guess since that is all it is.

      Has anyone any recipes for adding something to it to make it more Vodka
      like, whatever that is?

      Cheers, rob
      Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail
      message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is
      privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are
      advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of
      the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
      received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and
      destroy the message.
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
        Rob,

        > Has anyone any recipes for adding something to it to make it more Vodka
        > like, whatever that is?

        Strange, because a 96.6% shouldnt have too much other stuff with it and
        should dilute OK just to something very neutral. Just check with your
        friend as to how it was distilled, ensuring that the heads & tails etc were
        discarded.

        You might be able to smooth it out with some carbon or charcoal filtering.
        See http://homedistiller.org/polish.htm for details. As to make it more
        "vodkaish" I don't know, but if you give up on that, theres still heaps
        more you can use it for, making all manner of liqueurs etc - see
        http://homedistiller.org/flavour.htm as a starting point.

        Tony
      • Robert Stam
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
          Tony,
              this stuff is distilled from casein whey by Anchor Ethanol. It is classed as beverage grade XNS as per the specs at
          Click on the link at the bottom called "Product Specifications for ANCHOL Brand Ethyl Alcohol".

          It doesn't taste rough or anything, just 'hot', if you know what i mean. I was wondering if the other cogeners in a lower % abv actually bind to the alcohol or something, to cover the hotness of pure ethanol. Or perhaps the other flavours just mask it.

          What do you think?