Absinthe

  • echofixer
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 5, 2002
      Tony,

      I just sent you a message, but I guess it must have gone e-mail
      because I don't see it on the forum. (I guess I need to study the
      message interface here a little more)

      Anyway, in case absolutely nothing happend with my message
      and it didn't go out at all I'll just repeat it here.

      First, let me say that I think your design for the little coffee pot still
      is absolutely brilliant. I love the simplicity and the fact that I can
      watch the whole process through the little glass carafe.

      I do have a few questions, I hope you don't mind.

      1. Where did you find such a large cork?
      2. Do you have problems with the cork popping out?
      3. What are the actual dimensions of the condenser?
      4. The little downstream tube that goes back into the still. Is that
      for the condensed water to go back into the still?
      5. How did you seal the ends of the condensor?
      6. Will I be able to distill to the correct 68% to 75% alcohol that is
      appropriate for absinthe?
      7. How do you keep the herbs from burning on the bottom of the
      pot? I actually considered putting a little hook on the bottom of
      the cork and hanging the herbs in a bit of cheese cloth. Is that
      crazy?

      Also thank you for the link to the recipies. Have you tried any of
      the two posted on the site?

      Again thanks for sharing your knowledge.

      Tom
    • Jack o' the Green
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 12, 2007

        The louche is good, but I usually cheat by putting in straight ice cubes and letting them melt a bit before

        drinking. I’m never patient enough to chill water first ;)