New Rig

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2002

      Thought I would pass along my results from a new still, I just completed.

      Components:

      Boiler- 15 gal. SS beer keg

      Heater elements—one 4000 watt+ one 2500 watt electric water heater elements. Both on to bring up to temp. Distill with 2500W.

      Column—Modified Nixon/Stone 2” diameter--42” length, packed with SS scrubbers. Modified to incorporate a distillate reservoir under the reflux condenser. Reflux condenser is 16 ft. of .25” copper tubing, coiled in 2” pipe.

      Gaskets—food grade RTV silicone ( best gasket material I have found)

      Thermometer—Remote transmitter with SS meat probe. You can monitor temp. up too 75-80 feet in the house. These are getting to be more common as a bar-b-q thermometer. Accuracy is within 1 degree compared to a lab standard thermometer.

      Yield from 13 gallon run:

      9- 1.75 liter bottles of 90 proof very smooth brew, after charcoal filtering and cutting.

      Proof off of the still head ranged from 192 to 130. This was due to much fooling with the flow rate from fast drip to full open stream.

      Bottom line—I AM Well PLEASED.

      Bob