Boiler for ministills

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
      >From UPS474:
      After closing the fridge door (drawing another pint), I realized I needed to
      put another beer in the fridge. When I picked up the 5liter "gallon can"
      minikeg from the shelf and carried it to the kitchen- inspiration struck!
      I'm holding a 5 liter, food grade metal container with a small aperature on
      the top of it (that fits a #3 stopper perfectly)- it is designed to hold some
      pressure (carbonated beer) and is pretty cheap ($8US from homebrew shops when
      empty. Some liquor stores sell them full of euroimport beers.)- fitting it
      with a small jacketed condensor would make a small stovetop still that could
      easily hold a gallon of fruitwine/grain mash to make a nice schnaps/whiskey!
      I've filled a "gallon can" with 4 liters of water, and set it in a stock pot.
      I then brought this "jacketed pot" to a boil- the seams all held, and no odd
      flavors/colors appeared in the water after an hour of being full of boiling
      water!! With a cork #3stopper, and some copper tubing, these little minikegs
      can be made into handy little stovetop stills (perfect for the USA- the BATF
      on it's own website admits that it won't bother to prosecute a case against
      someone with a still of only one gallon capacity). HURRAY
      I thought as a new still design came to me. DAMMIT! I thought as the
      hour-long trip to the plumbing shop loomed up in my mind, as I stand in the
      copper aisle trying to fit seemingly random parts together. The thing has
      passed the boil test- as soon as I can, I'll make a condensor and let you
      know how it goes.
    • Rev. David M. Cunningham
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:46:57 +1200
        Tony & Elle Ackland <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:

        T> From UPS474:
        T> After closing the fridge door (drawing another pint), I realized I needed to
        T> put another beer in the fridge. When I picked up the 5liter "gallon can"
        T> minikeg from the shelf and carried it to the kitchen- inspiration struck!
        T> I'm holding a 5 liter, food grade metal container with a small aperature on
        T> the top of it (that fits a #3 stopper perfectly)- it is designed to hold some
        T> pressure (carbonated beer) and is pretty cheap ($8US from homebrew shops when
        T> empty.

        So, by what names do these "gallon cans" go by? I've tried to do a
        search online for them, but I found a wide variety of things that may or
        may not be exactly what you are talking about. I'm interested in
        retiring my 4l stove-top pot still which only allows me to do 2 to 3 l
        at a time -- depending on what goes through it. I would like to use the
        4l solely for oil distillation and use the 5l "gallon can" as my small
        run gallon still for alcohol.

        Any direction as to where one in the states could purchase one or two
        would be greatly appreciated (online would be best). Thanks.

        Sincerely,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham