Re: Reactivating Carbon

  • wromgbutton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In Distillers@y..., "smudge311065" <smudge@b...> wrote:
      > If you want to save money on activated carbon buy it in bulk from a
      > chemical supplier. I got 4kg for a little over AU$100. Just remember
      > to keep it in a sealed container as its activity is reduced by
      > contact with anything, including air.
      >
      > Smudge

      I buy my carbon from a water filter shop at $5 per litre. They don't
      sell it buy weight but $20 buys 2 big bags.
      I asked for the tech sheet on it...
      .45 to .85 mm particle size of coconut shell activated charcoal
      Cheap and works a treat.

      I built a copper filter tube approx 650mm x 76mm which hold approx 2.2
      litres of carbon. It is bottom fed so removing all air is easy. Works
      fine. Actually it's terrific. All smells just go.

      Once I finish, I run a 1/2 inch hose from my boiler to the top of the
      filter and back steam it for a couple of hours. I don't find much back
      pressure as long as I don't go under a 1/2 inch feed but be carefull
      as steam will peel your skin of.
      The stink is unbeleivable and the only time I worry about the
      neighbours.

      Regards Ed
    • pactumuk
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
        Hello Mike
        I saved your answer to Smudge for later use ......but now comes the
        crunch.
        I have the 40 % I have the carbon too but do I treat this in some way
        before using it ?
        Gert says wash it etc etc but is this necessary ?
        Thanks
        pactumuk

      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
          pactumuk wrote:
          Subject: [Distillers] Re: Mike .... Reactivating Carbon

          Hello Mike
          I saved your answer to Smudge for later use (re. cleaning used carbon)
          ......but now comes the crunch. I have the 40 % I have the carbon too but do
          I treat this in some way before using it ? Gert says wash it etc etc but is
          this necessary ?
          Thanks
          pactumuk
          Morning!

          If you are asking whether new carbon should be washed first before use, the
          answer is yes. Some rather nasty chemicals are used in many processes to
          produce activated carbon, and although some manufacturers take care to wash
          these out thoroughly before sale, unfortunately others do not. Without
          knowing who made the stuff (no reflection on retailers!), it is therefore
          sensible to wash all new carbon before use, as you would wash anything new
          that will be in contact with food or beverages. You don't need to go
          overboard ... this is not like getting rid of congeners adsorbed inside used
          carbon. A simple good rinsing should suffice.

          Cheers!
          Mike
        • pactumuk
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2002
            Mike

            It is from Prestige, the man himself, but I'll wash it just the same.
            Cheers again