Potassium permanganate

  • hettica
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
      I have read in an old book about home distilling, that if 2 g
      potassium permanganate per 10 liter wash, is mixed in this, before
      the distillation, it will make a cleaner spirit? Is that correct?
    • B Morey
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
          potassium permanganate is used in municipal water treatment plants to
          treat water that has a heavy concentration of iron content. This is
          an extraordinary method used on wells where the iron particles are
          particularly fine and can not be filtered by simple sand filters.
          The water is pumped from the well through pipes where the potassium
          is injected into the line thru nozzles. The water is then sent to
          a 'retention' tower where the water is aerated and allowed to settle
          for a period of 30 to 45 minutes before sending it through the
          multiple sand and gravel filter. The Potassium Permanganate acts as
          a coagulant on the iron particles allowing them clump together and to
          be captured by the filter media.

          judging from that ... The writers may be using it as a clearing
          agent. Just a side thought.

          > >I have read in an old book about home distilling, that if 2 g
          > potassium permanganate per 10 liter wash, is mixed in this, before
          > the distillation, it will make a cleaner spirit? Is that correct?<
          >
          > Hmmm...interesting question. Speculating, KMn04 is an oxidising
          agent.
          > My guess is that it oxidises certain congeners so they don't distill
          > over in the critical temperature range. If added earlier I would
          have
          > said it might oxidise pectin and reduce the amount of methanol
          coming
          > over.
        • Pete Sayers
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
            Dont know about that one, however i'm sure Tony will have some info on it.
            Pete
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 21, 2005
              Potassium permanganate is an oxidising agent. Russian homedistillers
              (samogonshchiki) use it to rectify their product. The recommended dose
              is 1-2g/l.
              Is it effective? Potassium permanganate does react with isopropyl and
              methyl alcohols and also aldehydes and esters. See -
              http://www.nuaire.com/tech_papers/Potassium_Permanganate_Odoroxidant.pdf
              also -
              Alcohol Specifications (pot. permanganate used for testing)
              http://www.distill.com/specs/US-4.html

              wal

              Here is a Russian samogon protocol -
              1) Add 8-10g/l sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, washing soda). Allow to stand
              for 30 minutes
              2) Add 2g/l potassium permanganate dissolved in 50ml water. Allow to
              stand 30 minutes.
              3) Add sodium carbonate again. Allow to stand for 12 hours. A sediment
              will form.
              4) Decant/filter and redistill.
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
                Ive used Potassium Perm. to make some nasty time delay fire starters . I dont want it in my likker. Seems like it would want to start a fire unless the dosage is too low.

                waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Potassium permanganate is an oxidising agent. Russian homedistillers
                (samogonshchiki) use it to rectify their product. The recommended dose
                is 1-2g/l.
                Is it effective? Potassium permanganate does react with isopropyl and
                methyl alcohols and also aldehydes and esters. See -
                http://www.nuaire.com/tech_papers/Potassium_Permanganate_Odoroxidant.pdf
                also -
                Alcohol Specifications (pot. permanganate used for testing)
                http://www.distill.com/specs/US-4.htm

                wal

                Here is a Russian samogon protocol -
                1) Add 8-10g/l sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, washing soda). Allow to stand
                for 30 minutes
                2) Add 2g/l potassium permanganate dissolved in 50ml water. Allow to
                stand 30 minutes.
                3) Add sodium carbonate again. Allow to stand for 12 hours. A sediment
                will form.
                4) Decant/filter and redistill.

                Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                  <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:

                  > Ive used Potassium Perm. to make some nasty time delay fire
                  starters . I dont want it in my likker. Seems like it would want to
                  start a fire unless the dosage is too low.

                  Hmmm...can't imagine why anyone would want to to make 'time delayed'
                  fire starters, nasty or otherwise. Perhaps we shouldn't pursue this
                  line. Walls have ears.

                • donald holcombe
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
                    Used to set back fires to cut off a forest fire.Usually in ping pong balls dropped from airplanes. Read up on P. P. seems it might be helpful. Also used as a deoderant in sewage transfer stations. Dosage in likker issmall but still needs time to react and do its thing before proceeding. Brother said he used it in Dye making.

                    Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                    <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:

                    > Ive used Potassium Perm. to make some nasty time delay fire
                    starters . I dont want it in my likker. Seems like it would want to
                    start a fire unless the dosage is too low.

                    Hmmm...can't imagine why anyone would want to to make 'time delayed'
                    fire starters, nasty or otherwise. Perhaps we shouldn't pursue this
                    line. Walls have ears.

                    Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
                      <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:

                      > Used to set back fires to cut off a forest fire.Usually in ping
                      pong balls dropped from airplanes. Read up on P. P. seems it might
                      be helpful. Also used as a deoderant in sewage transfer stations.
                      Dosage in likker issmall but still needs time to react and do its
                      thing before proceeding. Brother said he used it in Dye making.

                      Oh, ok. The only experience I've had with P.P. is in the form of
                      Condy's Crystals, which my mother always kept in the house. It was
                      used (1/2 tsp) in the baby's bath to prevent nappy rash, also to
                      prevent thrush with the females of the family, and Dad (cattle
                      stockman) used to soak his feet in it to prevent Tinea. Apparently
                      it is a good anti-fungal treatment. Unfortunately it is now a class
                      S6 chemical in Oz, and very hard to get. It used to be an over-the-
                      counter item.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
                        It does not distill over. In fact there is a scientific paper out
                        there in Russian showing how it can be used in methanol poisoning!
                        wal

                        <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:

                        > Ive used Potassium Perm. to make some nasty time delay fire starters
                        . I dont want it in my likker. Seems like it would want to start a
                        fire unless the dosage is too low.

                        > waljaco <waljaco@h...> wrote: Potassium permanganate is an
                        oxidising agent. Russian homedistillers
                        > (samogonshchiki) use it to rectify their product. The recommended dose
                        > is 1-2g/l.
                        > Is it effective? Potassium permanganate does react with isopropyl and
                        > methyl alcohols and also aldehydes and esters. See -
                        > http://www.nuaire.com/tech_papers/Potassium_Permanganate_Odoroxidant.pdf
                        > also -
                        > Alcohol Specifications (pot. permanganate used for testing)
                        > http://www.distill.com/specs/US-4.htm
                        >
                        > wal
                        >
                        > Here is a Russian samogon protocol -
                        > 1) Add 8-10g/l sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, washing soda). Allow to stand
                        > for 30 minutes
                        > 2) Add 2g/l potassium permanganate dissolved in 50ml water. Allow to
                        > stand 30 minutes.
                        > 3) Add sodium carbonate again. Allow to stand for 12 hours. A sediment
                        > will form.
                        > 4) Decant/filter and redistill.

                        > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
                        culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture
                        training Management team

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 23, 2005
                          Methanol (CH3OH) is oxidised with acidified potassium permanganate
                          (KMnO4) first to form formaldehyde then to formic acid and then carbon
                          dioxide and water.
                          wal

                          > It does not distill over. In fact there is a scientific paper out
                          > there in Russian showing how it can be used in methanol poisoning!
                          > wal
                          >
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                          > <blackledge_02@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Ive used Potassium Perm. to make some nasty time delay fire starters
                          > . I dont want it in my likker. Seems like it would want to start a
                          > fire unless the dosage is too low.
                          > >
                          > > waljaco <waljaco@h...> wrote: Potassium permanganate is an
                          > oxidising agent. Russian homedistillers
                          > > (samogonshchiki) use it to rectify their product. The recommended dose
                          > > is 1-2g/l.
                          > > Is it effective? Potassium permanganate does react with isopropyl and
                          > > methyl alcohols and also aldehydes and esters. See -

                          http://www.nuaire.com/tech_papers/Potassium_Permanganate_Odoroxidant.pdf
                          > > also -
                          > > Alcohol Specifications (pot. permanganate used for testing)
                          > > http://www.distill.com/specs/US-4.htm
                          > >
                          > > wal
                          > >
                          > > Here is a Russian samogon protocol -
                          > > 1) Add 8-10g/l sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, washing soda). Allow to stand
                          > > for 30 minutes
                          > > 2) Add 2g/l potassium permanganate dissolved in 50ml water. Allow to
                          > > stand 30 minutes.
                          > > 3) Add sodium carbonate again. Allow to stand for 12 hours. A sediment
                          > > will form.
                          > > 4) Decant/filter and redistill.

                          > > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
                          > culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture
                          > training Management team

                          > Service.
                          > >

                          > > ---------------------------------

                        • Robert Thomas
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 23, 2005
                            PP, particularly alkaline PP will oxidise primary and secondary
                            alcohols, but not as fast as aldehydes. What's happenning in the mix is
                            aldehydes get oxidised to acids, then the alcohols (finally to acids).
                            You lose the worst flavour spoilers first, then it's a free for all as
                            to what goes next. But because ethanol is in huge excess, you lose all
                            the higher alcohols before you lose your booze.
                            Hope that helps,
                            Cheers,
                            Rob.

                            Cheers,