Fwd: Hemp hemp hurray!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002
      Hemp is the English name for the plant cannabis sativa. It grows wild
      in Eastern Europe and along with flax was a useful plant. The
      aromatic oil from the seeds was highly prized. The European variety
      is low in THC.
      In India 'bhang' or cannabis indica is freely used on holy days. The
      use of the potent resin is frowned on. With a simple mortar and
      pestle, the buds and leaves of cannabis indica are ground into a
      green paste, to which milk, ghee and spices are added. This base can
      be mixed with 'thandai' (a nut milk) or 'lassi' (a yogurt) to make a
      refreshing drink. I am suggesting that the same aromatic base can be
      added to alcohol to make a satisfying herbal liqueur. Bhang is also
      added to alcohol in India but I have not seen a recipe from there
      (see msg 4990 for details).
      In Pakistan, the leaves and seeds were roasted on a dry griddle until
      the leaves were crisp and an oily smell began to arise. Then they
      were washed in cold water a few times and squeezed. After this they
      were ground with nuts and spices added. Water was then used to create
      an extract which was used in many ways. I'm interested in how herbs
      are used around the world.
      'Bhang'
      http://www.superluminal.com/cookbook/beverages_bhang.html
      Cakacak Bhang'
      http://www.marijuana.reallybites.com/cakacak_bhang.htm
      'Bhang Lassi'
      http:leda.lycaeum.org/
      -- In Distillers@y..., BillyWeeble@c... wrote:

      In a message dated 6/27/02 7:02:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      distiller@e... writes:

      << it is important to note that the term "hemp" is used, by those that
      know the difference, in reference to a form of Cannabis Sativa that
      is
      relatively low in THC resinous glands -- so much so that a person
      would
      have to ingest a very large amount of "hemp" smoke, in comparison to
      marijuana, to even get the slightest "buzz." >>

      Howdy all, In the '40s during and after WW2 there were some who
      would
      smoke the leaves from the hemp plants used to make rope. They were
      know as
      rope smokers. They may have been the ones In the '60s who smoked
      banana
      peels. Those who say they want hemp legalized aren't necessarily
      wanting
      marijuana legalized since the two are so different, what with hemp
      being a
      most useful ag product. I believe the forests of the US will be
      decimated
      before hemp becomes legal there....bw....
      --- End forwarded message ---