Re: [Distillers] Turbo Yeast - reusing

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2002
      Bernard Morey wrote:

      I kept the Turbo Extra yeast after my last brew to re-use. What is suitable nutrient
      to use with this second or third time around? When you buy the packet the ratio of
      nutrient to yeast appear to be about 10:1.
      Hi Bernard!
      It's really not a good idea to re-use turbo yeast as it is originally a complicated mixture, not only of nutrients, but also buffers and inert material included to promote good suspension of the yeast in the ferment.    I personally buy fresh packets of the turbo mix for each new fermentation and the small cost of this is more than outweighed by the assurance I will get a reliable and efficiently brewed batch every time.  Turbo mixes are prepared by experts, and to carefully researched (and propriety) formulae.
      Mike Nixon