activated carbon

  • yldog@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2000
      hello all i am net to this and i hope someone can help me with my
      problem. when my spirit come out of the still it has a mildly bad
      taste to it so i tried to put it through activated carbon. this did
      take away that taste but it also added a kind of woody taste from the
      carbon. i do not know if it is the percentage that is the problem as
      i put it throught the carbon at around 90%. can anyone suggest a
      better way to eliminate bad tastes or get rid of the woody taste?
      thanks
    • Dean Watts
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2000
        Hi There and welcome

        You dont say what type of carbon you used or how you filtered the
        spirit after the carbon treatment. I have tried using activated
        carbon along with a finishing carbon to do a final clean and found
        this worked very well. I have also tried Reflux carbon on its own as
        it is supposed to be used and just filtered through coffee filters
        but found it wasn't as clean looking or tasting I now am trying CR
        Carbon and filtering through Filter carbon and so far have found this
        to work extramly well.

        A lot of people will tell you that you need to have your spirit below
        50% before carbon treatment but I dont believe this is neccesaraly
        true. I think the carbon treatment works better if you dont water it
        down first as the carbon can concentrate on the Spirit and not all
        the chemicals and minerals in the added water. If you need to clean
        your water this would be better done seperately from your spirit
        before adding it. (im sure there are lots of differing opinions
        about this and mine is just from the small amount of experience I
        have had.)

        I hope this helps in some way.
        Cheers

        Dean Watts

      • yldog@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 26, 2000
          hello everyone i am in Melbourne Australia and i was wondering if
          anyone knows of a place which sells activated carbon which is
          suitable for spirits that is in Melbourne.
          thanks Scott
        • yldog@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2001
            firstly sorry matt for my previouse email i didn't know there would
            be a problem
            tom i could get to the picture concerning activated carbon but not
            the text do you know where the text is now?
            thanks
            from scott
          • Matt
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 21, 2001
              On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 03:25:00AM -0000, yldog@... wrote:
              > firstly sorry matt for my previouse email i didn't know there would
              > be a problem
              > tom i could get to the picture concerning activated carbon but not
              > the text do you know where the text is now?
              > thanks
              > from scott

              scott, no prob it's just that those of us with primitive mailers have
              trouble with the encoding. also, re: test link in tom's mail, make sure
              you attach the "ml" to the end of that URL that ends with ".ht" it was
              wrapped to the next line.

              Matthew @ psibercom
            • Brian Adams
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2001
                everyone has been telling me to check out brewhaus.com for carbon, and i
                did, but i also picked up a couple of activated carbon water filters from
                the local hardware store that are made from coconut shell. i easily took
                all of the activated carbon out and ground it down into small clumps and
                powder. i now have 2 boxes of granular activated carbon for fish aquariums,
                and about an equal amount of this stuff for water filtering. i now also
                know how to make my own charcoal, so between these three things, which would
                be the best to use? i don't really feel like spending too much more time and
                money for other sources. one of these things must work! also, can i mix
                them to get a larger surface area?

              • foutzdj
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                  Hey everyone, I found a jar of activated carbon for aquariums at a
                  friends house. Can I still use this to clean up my finished product?
                  How much do I use? for how long? Also, I've read about putting some in
                  with your mash before fermentation. Is this so? If yes, then how much
                  there?
                  Thanks
                  Dan
                • Frank Mathieson
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                    No, that type of activated carbon is second rate and
                    will not filter well. Best leave it to the fish tank.
                    --- foutzdj <foutzdj@...> wrote:
                    ---------------------------------
                    Hey everyone, I found a jar of activated carbon for
                    aquariums at a
                    friends house. Can I still use this to clean up my
                    finished product?
                    How much do I use? for how long? Also, I've read about
                    putting some in
                    with your mash before fermentation. Is this so? If
                    yes, then how much
                    there?
                    Thanks
                    Dan

                    Distillers list archives :
                    http://archive.nnytech.net/

                    Terms of Service.

                    http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                  • parkst5356
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 25, 2006
                      anybody got any views on different types of activated carbon?
                      i've been using carbon made from coal and was wondering if it has
                      any advantages- disadvantages to coco-nut fibre carbon or anything
                      else it is made from.thanks for any thoughts.
                    • suitcase1499@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 25, 2006
                        In a message dated 7/25/2006 4:45:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        parkst5356@... writes:

                        anybody got any views on different types of activated carbon?
                        i've been using carbon made from coal and was wondering if it has
                        any advantages- disadvantages to coco-nut fibre carbon or anything
                        else it is made from.thanks for any thoughts.

                        I tried some cheaper carbon I think it was made from wood a couple of years
                        ago and it didn't work as well as the stone carbon.

                        Suitcase

                      • Link D'Antoni
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 25, 2006
                          Follow this link (no pun intended) for Gert Strands
                          site.
                          http://www.partyman.se/free_ebook.html

                          'a free, 28 page Ebook that tells everything there is
                          to know about activated carbon for purification of
                          home distilled alcohol.'

                          Link

                          http://mail.yahoo.com